(WBO) Pathracer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the plan! The only thing I am concerned with is the shallow angles of the cruiser frame you're using. Road racers generally have steeper angles for the seat and head tubes. Hopefully that won't make a lot of difference for you in your build or for the final rideability of the bike.
i got the saddle and seat post on!
your right about the slack frame, so back in the day they made a seat post to counter this. its called a "Gallows" seat post. it was used on old racing bikes to increase the angle of the rider to the pedals making for a more suitable racing stance.
vjlsVM.jpg

XbbBaq.jpg

also got the frame pump on, i put it in the same spot as the 1912 Tour de France winner kept his. also note the newly re-spoked wheels and tires are finely on the bike!

He does say that they are not for a rider, do you think they would have lost enough structural integrity to be unsafe?

He does say that they are not for a rider, do you think they would have lost enough structural integrity to be unsafe?
hmmm, i better not risk it, i might end up with a face full of pavement, but thank you for looking out for me! :)

I got the handlebars and bell on today. As you can see I am starting to attach and modify the front piston brake (the cloth is just to keep the bracket from scratching the handlebars).
P3NdCm.jpg

I need a longer screw that supports the piston brake on the fork. Because it is metric I spent the better part of a day trying to find one (seems like everything is imperial even in Canada these days). Luckily it turns out my younger sister is an accomplished fencer with the local Royal Military Collage, and it turns out that fencing blades are threaded the exact same metric size as my brake eye. As luck would have it she gave me a broken blade to mess with to see if I could use it.
hIWt8b.jpg
jQrDc5.jpg

Last edited:
It is great just knowing where that part originated from. When my friends say that I'm a good fabricator, I say no I'm a good modifier! I look for something that is close to the part that I need to make, and then modify it to work. Man, I do like this bike!!

This bike is coming together beautifully, I can't wait to see it finished. When I first started being a daily cycle commuter I rode an early 60's 28" two bar Flying Pigeon with butcher brakes, I'm interested in seeing how that piston brake works for you. There's not a day goes by I don't regret selling my Pigeon. Great job on this bike, the history lessons are fun as well.

This bike is coming together beautifully, I can't wait to see it finished. When I first started being a daily cycle commuter I rode an early 60's 28" two bar Flying Pigeon with butcher brakes, I'm interested in seeing how that piston brake works for you. There's not a day goes by I don't regret selling my Pigeon. Great job on this bike, the history lessons are fun as well.
thank you for the compliments.
the flying pigeon is a great bicycle to ride around town. i see a prof at the local university ride one whenever the roads are clear. good sturdy built bicycle, looks like it will last a lifetime. apparently in china they were regarded as one of the three "must-haves" of every citizen, alongside a sewing machine and watch. I don't know why but they are hard to find here in North America despite millions of them being made. if i see one for sale I'll let you know :)
the piston brake will be interesting, can't wait for it to be done and for the snow and ice to be off the roads.

Beautiful detail work on this bike PR.....I am really enjoying what you have going on here...:thumbsup:

IMG00001-20150207-1217_zpsxhgy4kws.jpg
IMG00004-20150207-1243_zpshoq8svl7.jpg

getting some help bending the chrome brake handle to the right angles, its tedious work. heating the metal to an orange glow allows the chrome finish to bend with the steel core, once it is the right shape, i will use a polishing compound to buff it to the original bright chrome finish.

IMG00013-20150208-1306_zpsrtz6a6im.jpg

finished bending the brake handle, now I just finish cutting spacers out of an old tv part that was found in a parts bin.

Latest posts

Back