(WBO) Salvaged Title

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't been this excited for a build in a long time. I've got so many ideas! The title comes from the loose theme, which is to use as many car and motorcycle parts as I can. I want this to look like it was built in a junk yard.

I'll be using an old 8 ply truck wheel that I got from a neighbor as the rear. I've been doing a lot of research to make the drive, and I'll be using parts from many influences to make my own thing, which I haven't seen before. Luke and others on this site that have used car wheels were scrutinized, and so, thanks for your inspiration. The main thing with my drive is, I wanted to leave the rim unaltered. I have a plan.

Also, in the spirit of the name Salvaged Title, I have finally given myself cart blanche to use many doodads! I have all kinds of stuff laying around the shop, collecting dust, and I want this thing to be all about the details. That's right, it's time to get my inner-Gaskill on!!

Here is the basic frame and parts layout. A couple of old 10 speeds and a 24" Worksman make up the bulk of the frame, with Edelbrock valve covers as a tank, a 1948 Harley Hummer "rubber band" front end, and other motorcycle parts for the seat and bars. Plus much more stuff not pictured.
IMG_2999_zps06b5e4d8.jpg

I haven't been this excited for a build in a long time. I've got so many ideas! The title comes from the loose theme, which is to use as many car and motorcycle parts as I can. I want this to look like it was built in a junk yard.

I'll be using an old 8 ply truck wheel that I got from a neighbor as the rear. I've been doing a lot of research to make the drive, and I'll be using parts from many influences to make my own thing, which I haven't seen before. Luke and others on this site that have used car wheels were scrutinized, and so, thanks for your inspiration. The main thing with my drive is, I wanted to leave the rim unaltered. I have a plan.

Also, in the spirit of the name Salvaged Title, I have finally given myself cart blanche to use many doodads! I have all kinds of stuff laying around the shop, collecting dust, and I want this thing to be all about the details. That's right, it's time to get my inner-Gaskill on!!

Here is the basic frame and parts layout. A couple of old 10 speeds and a 24" Worksman make up the bulk of the frame, with Edelbrock valve covers as a tank, a 1948 Harley Hummer "rubber band" front end, and other motorcycle parts for the seat and bars. Plus much more stuff not pictured.
IMG_2999_zps06b5e4d8.jpg
What a great idea to use valve covers as a tank! I'm thinking HEMI valve covers! :crazy:

Crazy, but YOU can pull it off.

Your builds always have my attention!

Day 1 of the build went swimmingly! The rear wheel came together more easily than expected. The whole thing only took a few hours. Keep in mind, I've literally been having trouble sleeping the last three or four nights thinking about making this wheel work.

I started by cutting a 1/4" plate into a 12" circle, then welding a 2" pipe through the center, making sure to offset so that the pipe came out 1/4" past each side of the tire. Next I drilled the six holes in the plate to match up to the rim. I then welded a chainring-side English bearing cup to the end of the pipe, so I could thread on a freewheel. Slipped in a 1/2" axle that I made using Luke's method to join two grade 8 bolts together, and sliding on a sleeve to stabilize it. Finished with some 1/2" by 2" industrial bearings between the axle and the pipe, and boom! Bob's your uncle, and the rear wheel was ready to bolt the rim to the plate using some lugs bought at an auto parts store.
IMG_3010_zpsaf44abfe.jpg

IMG_3012_zpsa0b3c2c7.jpg

IMG_3013_zps6cb5dc65.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsdfb83fab.jpg

IMG_3016_zps799c11aa.jpg

IMG_3018_zps8aa0babd.jpg

Sweet! What size lugs did you use? I may have some bullet lugs nuts that I could send you, but I think most of my leftovers are metric.

Sweet! What size lugs did you use? I may have some bullet lugs nuts that I could send you, but I think most of my leftovers are metric.

They were 1/2", but I couldn't tell you what thread count (if lugs have different thread counts).

Should be 1/2 -20 I'll check when I get home.

It would be neat if you could incorporate an old 3 speed lawn mower transmission. Some are not very big if you find the right ones. Just an idea. This is going to be a great build. I hope all your ideas come out great in solid form!

Day two of the build saw me beginning the rear of the frame. The stays, and the drops.
IMG_3019_zps7730c4d5.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsbbfe4b4f.jpg

I was going to make these very nice drops, and then I thought, this is Salvaged Title! This is supposed to look like it's at home in a junk yard. So, I roughly drew a couple of skulls on some plate, and cut the drops out with a torch. Done!
IMG_3022_zps07a2f841.jpg

IMG_3023_zps170d80ce.jpg

IMG_3024_zps7c2016e6.jpg

IMG_3025_zpsc08a86d1.jpg

Cool!

Started putting the frame together.
IMG_3030_zpsab0374da.jpg

IMG_3031_zps9b572250.jpg

IMG_3032_zpsa4c7ed2e.jpg

It was at this point that I noticed that I had made the seat tube much too long. If I leveled the top tube, it would be on the ground. After cursing for a while, I saw this as an opportunity to also fix something that's been bothering me, the angle of the straight tube on the bottom loop.

Due to the angle of the seat tube, the loop was slightly off of parallel from the ground, so while taking about an inch and a half off of the seat tube, I also rewelded them back together with a little bit of a dogleg, to get that loop piece closer to parallel.

Here's where it ended the day:
IMG_3035_zps3774279c.jpg

A lot of progress today. Filled in the rest of the frame, and added some motorcycle bars.
IMG_3045_zps09ab3d00.jpg

I welded the bracket/seat into place.
IMG_3046_zps969259ed.jpg

IMG_3047_zpsa5350130.jpg

One of the things that I wanted to do was make pedals out of motorcycle kickstart pedals. I bought two that match, and after trying it different ways, I ended up just welding the threaded ends of bike pedals to the rods that go in the kick pedal rods.
IMG_3044_zpsfa70707f.jpg

IMG_3049_zps4f3bc1fa.jpg

I just greased up the rods, and whether this way lasts or not, time will tell.
IMG_3051_zps10ea4e18.jpg

IMG_3050_zpsa7b40cc2.jpg

Latest posts

Back