(WBO) The Mojave Express (Some Assembly required!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I painted it twice this week, had a nice shiny high ceramic black. It showed every little ding and surface imperfection. On recoat, it peeled on the seat stay, didn't wait quite long enuff. So I sanded the crackle and recoated flat black ceramic paint. Looking more how I want it now.

I cleaned up the handlebar and fork topper, may paint the bars, if I were putting the gentleman style, crome is up,

but mustache style, mostly rust topside.

Thoughts? Would you paint them?

Will be working over the fenders next, take the oxidation off and fix the dings, and paint the rods...

After 4 rounds with the rust cleaner and sos pads, I found some chrome under all that rust. Neck cleaned up well. A bit of rust staining on both.

My pile for the polisher is growing.

Coming along well. If all the chrome bits looked pitted,equally I would leave them,unless you want a spanky new look bike...

Coming along well. If all the chrome bits looked pitted,equally I would leave them,unless you want a spanky new look bike...
Nope, not after spanky new. But do want to make brite work bright. With the pits, It will rust up again soon enuff. The rust stains will show thru on the bars and neck and crank. But most of the finish will shine. Wheels will be as well. I'm not removing all the rust, but a good percentage of it. I was tempted to paint ober a couple of them, but now won't need to.

Added a few more parts into the pile chain guard and a bunch of miscellaneous pieces.

That chain guard, I got it so its not slightly twisted, but not super mirrorlike...

Spokes are flimsy, worse on front. Gonna head to the bike store and see if they stock a set.. can't adjust, even half of them, seized to the spoke. When I find spokes may even have to cut some of them, the brass disintegrated when trying to loosten. 286 up front, 282 on back.

This weekend, also starting re assembly, after I deal with the wheels. All other components are cleaned.

Anybody know where I can find head badge rivets that are burred like this? I am missing one.

Had no dice finding the right spokes in stock. Gotta go back and order some. So wheels are on hold. Decided to start putting it together while I figure out the wheels

Assembly is gonna be slow. Just getting started. Headbadge first, so I gotta wait till I get a rivet.
Flat black

Rub in some black wax and it looks like old black paint.

Gotta find my frog tape.

I have some old 15 year old black turtle wax. Meguires makes a black paste wax also. On old stuff it cures black instead of white when it soaks into rust. I have an old black car, so I keep some normal wax, plus some black hanging around.

Anybody know where I can find head badge rivets that are burred like this? I am missing one.

0172720_hr4c.jpg

Fastenal or McMaster-Carr

Reading your post,I just remembered I had some red wax for my old honda,had it for years,but I tossed it...:arghh::headbang:
I want to try my hand at that technic...

I've reconstituted old dried up paste wax with a little water before. Only after I moved to vegas did I have to start tossing it. Last summer my rubbing compound shrunk to the size of a hockey puck, harder than my head... heheh.

The weather turned crappy today, I had to unhang the bike and move all my tools into the garage. I've got a couple bike shops to call today about spokes. I found enuff to do one wheel yesterday, just gotta ho pick them up. If I can't find the 285s in the same brand I might wait. Otherwise, while it rains this afternoon, I may watch the race and lace up a wheel.

May also start on the decals. The paper came... we will see what time allows.

Latest posts

Back