(WBO) Thorn... OK, really now, it's done PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Funkme. I' going to try that bracket with some better looking materials, if it still doesn't float my boat I'll ditch the rack. Did a little paint today even though it's snowing! Supposed to be lower 40's today. Winter does not want to go away this year...

Hoping to swing my LBS to check out his stock of stems later on today.

Missed the bike shop today, going to try plan "B" for a long reach stem.

While I wait for paint to dry I filled in this hole with JB Weld so I can mount the rear fender. Someone stuffed some fabric in there a long time ago?

going to add some of this seatpost.

OK, I'll be using 3-7/8" of that seatpost with the anodize polished off.

That's better

Ran the shift cable housing, had this vintage stuff kicking around. It's not compressionless but I think it will be OK.

gave the front wheel a spin and the shift actuator works so that's a good sign! Must be a speed sensor somewhere or maybe it measures the voltage coming from the hub to know when to shift? Dunno.. I'm desperate for a 1/2 link for the chain, there just isn't enough room to slide the axle back and forth to get tension where I need it. Of course no shops will be open till Tuesday around here.

I must have had that rear fender on and off a dozen times. Full disclosure, I had a bad weld on one of the nuts and it snapped off while I was trying to align the fender. welded it back on....backwards so the nylon was on the outside...so triple do over on that one. All better now though.

I haven't given up on the rear rack yet but I worry about scratching the fender while making up a bracket. The inverted stem thing isn't going to fly. Hoping to get back down there tonight and at least deal with the stem since that's kind of crucial.

Thanks Luke. kind of a minor thing but the post I made was not looking so good.

I painted my light & horn black and that was not good, repainted them blue and that wasn't much better, going to try masking a design in them and see what happens.

good night.. shifter is hooked up and working, had to make a cable clamp to fit into the factory linkage. Mounted up a nice old reflector on the rear fender, lights and horn are mounted up, chain tension is set thanks to my wife going out of her way to get me a 1/2 link yesterday, seat and bars are adjusted, tires are pumped up, checked all the nuts and bolts and I think, dare I say, its done.:) Now to take the glamour shots...

Ok, one more addition, wife brought me home this leather purse . Now I have some material that nearly matches the seat to wrap the stem with. I guess technically it would be a "Murse" since she specifically went out and bought it for me. Which is totally cool.

So while I had struck out on finding a stem with super long reach, I decided to make one. I had this pre war negative rise stem that had been cut down for a previous project and some stainless steel 3/4" bar stock so why not put them together.

Lastly, Just need to wrap the extension area with some leather and find a stem bolt to fit the super short stem.

Last edited:
Took it to Plymouth today and rode around town for some photos. It was super smooth and the auto shift worked flawlessly. Kind of neat as you coast along loosing or gaining speed you can hear the shifter working so when you do start pedaling again you are in the proper gear. Need to sort through the photos this evening and find the best but here's something to look at until then.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, input and "likes"

Beautifully done. It had one foot in the grave, and now it's got a whole new lease on life.

Latest posts

Back