WE ARE BOTH FINISHED!!! thatismytruck vs. ifitsfreeitsforme

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
aka: Skipper vs. Little Buddy

This first post is a collaboration by Ian and me. His text will be blue and mine black.

Ian and I have been friends for 12 years. We met at work and I think he liked me as much as I liked him right away. It was bromance at first sight.

A few weeks ago, Ian and I took a short road trip to get some parts for my Colorflow. We met Myke (soulshine73) and we had a nice time chatting with him. Instead of parts, I bought the entire Colorflow Myke had for sale and Ian picked up a sweet Monarch. On the ride home Ian talked himself into working on the Monarch sooner rather than later.

The next day he texted me the idea of a build off challenge so we would have a deadline and inspiration to get our bikes done. I honestly was not taken with the idea.

A week went by. I rode the “new” Colorflow. I showed it to my brother and, noticing lots of bikes and parts asked me to build a custom bike to auction for charity (I started another thread for that already). I began that project but also started tearing down the Colorflows. That was Saturday 7/20. On Sunday 7/21, I texted Ian “BGOV says ‘I challenge you to a build off!’” (BGOV is my acronym for Big Glass Of Vodka) The liquid courage made me send the text. His reply: “You Are So On!”

I think the best part will be texting Ian and asking what he thinks of this part or that color or design, then changing (or not) based on his comment. It will be fun and challenging. I admire his bikes very much (Check the Seminole in BO7 or search Louver Bike). He will be tough to beat. If Skip builds anything as cool as the Airstream Bike It won’t be difficult beating me.

So we worked up some rules. Nothing major. We have similar bikes to start from. Neither of us welds but we have buds who can help with little stuff, so no frame cutting mods. I’ve done a theme bike and have another in mind but no themes for this challenge. Bikes must be complete by 10/31/12. After we finish we will have a couple weeks to get some nice photos. No other rules.

We will abide your choice, our humble forum friends, as to the victor. The poll will start when we begin the finished thread with the final photos. Wish us luck!

Loser buys.

So basically based on “loser buys”, this contest has the potential to cost me a whole lot more than it does him. When Skip drinks a pint of Guinness, he’s a “three ringer”. In other words, he tips the glass to his lips three times and the third time it’s empty, thus leaving only three rings. Me, a pint of Guinness lasts about an hour. So you see where I’m going here.

All I know is I’ve lost three nights sleep now batting around color and design ideas in my head for the bike I’m going with. I gotta get started so I can get a good night’s sleep!

Let’s do this.
8)

Sorry for so many words and no photos. We promise to have lots of photos to make up for this. :wink:

Re: thatismytruck vs. ifitsfreeitsforme

My Bike intro:
(I was hoping to let Ian get his intro up first but he must be out to lunch with his beautiful wife :) and I need to get this done before lunch is over. :cry: )

These are the two Colorflows I plan to cobble together.

This first one has made the rounds here in New England.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTEtMjAxMDA3MTEtMTE1O.jpg

the drop outs on this are wobbled out a bit. I'm hoping a bud can lay a small bead of weld in the slot, we'll see.

This is the bike I picked up from soulshine73

2012-07-21_17-19-52_361.jpg

It's not actually a Colorflow frame (Myke told me before I bought it). When I tore it down a couple weeks ago I found a rather large crack in the fork tube from over tightening the quill. This will need a little hammering and a weld also.

I bought this wheel set from Steve quite some time ago. They've been dying to get used.

IMG00034-20110111-1223.jpg

3 speed and a front drum .... Oooooo ..... 8)

I have a few ideas but the tear down sanding process will change my ideas so I won't share any now. I do know there is a chance I will upset some purists with my choices. This will not be a restoration of either bike. :wink:

Ian: Good Luck Brother. We're gunna have fun building, riding and drinking.

oh man, based on that righteous wheelset alone, I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm torn between going with a shiny bike (haven't built one yet) or sticking with what I know best - ratty patina. I'm afraid if I go with patina, it's gonna look similar to every bike I've built so far, so I'm leaning more toward shiny. I'm pretty sure I want a hot rod look.

In the last week I've envisioned this bike in at least 4 different paint themes.

anyway... here's what I'm working with:

1955 Monarch. A pretty great start if you ask me. Equal to Skip's Colorflow?

7677877890_dd4e0e1747_b.jpg

balanced a quilted vinyl seat in place:

7677874584_7ec64b6665_b.jpg

Wald bars with alloy stem?

7677867448_b93449fb87_b.jpg

or flipped Schwinn bars with alloy stem?

7677864136_eea49eaaf2_b.jpg

Don't know if I have the skills to salvage this light, or convert it to LED, but I hope so:

7677870918_90996f40ec_b.jpg

I like the head badge:

7677885110_b3a06080bc_b.jpg

this tail reflector alone could win the challenge:

7677881298_16d8e5a282_b.jpg

and lastly... here's the tank in rough condition. Don't know if I'll attempt to restore it...

7677888820_156e217d50_b.jpg

or if these louver plates will finally find a home:

7677861052_42ae8e7ac5_b.jpg

Only thing I've ordered so far for the build is a new pair of single speed 26"x1.50" white painted alloy wheels with silver spokes and hubs.

I'm thinking of using an old set of Goodyear Speedways that yeshoney gave me. But I'm also thinking of buying new black Fat Franks if they'll fit.

that's it. stay tuned.

and vote for me.

This is gonna be a close competition :shock:

Skip: That's an awesome start :wink: Those wheels can make anything look good 8) Especially when they're on a fancy Colorflow! :p

Ian: Another awesome start! :shock: That would make a nice boardtracker 8) I think it's time for a shiny one...or semi-shiney (bare metal) :wink:

Good luck to both of you! :D

I'm thinking of a 50's automobile feel perhaps. That's the image that's coming to fruition in my head right now anyway.

... <I've got my popcorn>
This is going to be good...
I'll send you guys a little beer money, ain't no reality show that could provide this much entertainment!!! WOOT!!! :lol:

Clark

Clark I'm gonna send YOU beer money. I can count on your vote now, right? Right?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Black Fat Franks on order.

Upping the ante a bit? :) I love it... this is gonna be one to watch.

If either of you need any sandblasting work done get in touch with me, I can help.

Good luck and may the best bike (builder) win!

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
If either of you need any sandblasting work done get in touch with me, I can help.

--Rob
8)
Thanks!!!

Tear down and some cleaning.

2012-07-21_18-54-32_222.jpg

2012-07-21_18-54-24_107.jpg

soaking the screw for the head light with PB Blaster.
2012-07-21_18-54-19_394.jpg

2012-07-21_18-54-40_655.jpg

and after a nice wood bleach soak overnight ...
2012-07-23_18-50-38_431.jpg

note the BGOV. This is the exact moment I texted Ian to begin the challenge. :wink:

Skip, what's the deal with wood bleach? Where do I get it, and should I use it to soak the Monark springer?

Rob, thanks for the sandblasting offer - that's very nice of you.

wood bleach
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oxalic-acid-bleach.html
Oxalic acid. a weak form of muratic acid. which is a weak form of hydrochloric acid. I mixed the wood bleach powder in a 5 gallon bucket. and soaked a poop load of stuff. It's been sitting out by my back deck for a month or so. (the bucket of acid not the parts in the bucket)

2012-07-21_14-51-03_299.jpg

works best on chrome or stainless. the tank in the bucket here ... not so much.

Oh, and yes you should.

How can I not watch this! You already mentioned TWO of my favorite bikes built on this site, Airstream and Louver Bike. ..BROMANCE! I always thought of you guys as "Penn and Teller" (If anyone has seen a pic of you, together, they'd know why) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Larry I am laughing so hard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the complement. It means a lot coming from you.

Eastwood has something similar. I used it to paint exhaust manifolds. Worked great.

Latest posts

Back