Welder: Should I get it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took a class, learned to weld and now I need a welder! Yes, I've searched around here like crazy, but I can't figure out what machine to get that's powerful enough to hold a bike together without breaking the bike or the bank. Here's the deal:

1. I want to build bikes (ground up) that don't need pretty welds (I can't afford TIG right now!)
2. I want a Mig with some gas.
3. Budget of $3-500 for a welder.

There's a nice Millermatic 130XP on Craigs right now... is this enough to put some bike steel together and not fall apart if I half to drop off a 4" sidewalk curb? :shock:

Thanks for all the expertise I find on this site... I love it!

Joey

Yes a miller 130 should be fine, should weld upto 3/16 or so . U can go to millers website to get info on the capabilities of the welder. Gas is def recomended much cleaner then flux wire . Let the owner weld something for u to show that everything is working correctly.

I would go with the miller. I weld with flux wire an no gas. what a pain.

Outlaw 8)

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to do it... Miller seems like the best thing out there, so I'll try to get my hands on one of those. Here's to truly building my own creation!!
Cheers,
Joey

I bought a set of oxy-acetylene bottles, with the intent of buying a Miller 210 later. My shop (garage) doesn't have 220v in it, and in the meantime, I've really enjoyed gas welding everything, so I've put off the welder for now. The whole gas set up cost about $900, and I love it.

Get a used mig machine for now and start saving up for a Dynasty 200dx. You want to be alum capable. Then save up for the upgrade to water cooled.

While saving, learn to tig and never go back to migging a frame together. Buy your own bottles used off craigslist along with REAL good regulators. Go in and talk to the local gas guy and tell him you are practicing and will be burning through some gas, ask for a break in price while learning. When you up grade to tig just change gas mix in your own bottle.

ALWAYS buy the biggest machine you can get ahold of, min 220V, (make a cord that will run to your dyer or range plug if you have to) it will pay for itself and do better work than a small DIYer model.

I have oxy/act, mig, and tig and will tig anything I want to look pretty. I always use Millers....

Latest posts

Back