Western Flyer Buzz Bike - Class 1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up about a year ago from the same guy I acquired Project: Beater Slick from. Sometime in it's past life it was restored but then parted out and I ended up with about 60% of it. I've got a small mountain of cool parts just waiting for a home. I humbly present to you, Project: Buzz-ard Bike

Buzz Bike.JPG

Sweet. Looks nice!

Really good shape. You could jump over to class 2 and use some blue anodized modern rims.
https://www.bmxguru.com/collections...ema-333-double-wall-bmx-rim-blue-anodized-36h
:)
Lets see some more.
If he uses the original frame, why would he need to switch classes? Class 1 isn't just straight restoration. It's just original muscle bikes. You couldn't use a cruiser frame, like I have in the past, and build a look alike. But you can use a muscle bike frame and put blue rims on it, if you choose. @LukeTheJoker can back me up on that.

I haven't touched it yet.

Jeeze dude, what are you waiting for?!?!

Good question, and one easily answered..........I'm lazy. The Buzz-ard Bike still hasn't been touched but I have finalized the plans for it. Stay tuned to this channel for further updates.

This morning I dug out two wheels and another RB2 hub intending to rebuild all three coasters. One of the complete wheels also had a Red Band and the other was a Me-he-coe hub. The M76 is laced up on a Schwinn S2 but it's a heavy gauge 36 spoke Scrambler wheel and it's as ugly as sin. I've tried to convince myself that it would look OK but I just can't. Luckily I've also got a Murray built Foremost Swinger with a lousy repaint so I decided to use it as a parts bike for now. I tore the rear wheel apart and cleaned it up and it's now ready to go back together. By the time I got all this sorted out and the Murray wheel unfunkified I was beat up from the feet up. It's not easy for me to work on anything with my neck, back and shoulders being such a mess so progress is minimal. Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew entering three bikes into the build off.

Good to hear you're making some progress Muttley.

If he uses the original frame, why would he need to switch classes? Class 1 isn't just straight restoration. It's just original muscle bikes. You couldn't use a cruiser frame, like I have in the past, and build a look alike. But you can use a muscle bike frame and put blue rims on it, if you choose. @LukeTheJoker can back me up on that.

Changed my bike to class 1 after you said that CRASH. Was never sure where the restomods belonged after the rule changes. Makes sense now.

Good to hear you're making some progress Muttley.

Changed my bike to class 1 after you said that CRASH. Was never sure where the restomods belonged after the rule changes. Makes sense now.
Your bike still belongs in class 2. Reason: I don't want to compete against it.

I can set that rule, right Luke?

Spent some time this afternoon building three Bendix Red Band hubs and got a NOS Goodyear Grasshopper slick on the wheel for the Buzz-ard bike. I'm still debating whether or not to paint a stripe on the slick. The one I did last year on my '65 Stingray looks fantastic but it's a huge pain to do.

Did your stripe from last year hold up? What kind of paint did you use?

It was fine until I forgot to check the tire pressure one day before taking it up the street and back. I hadn't ridden it for a month or so and it had started to leak due to the valve stem not being perfectly centered in the hole in the wheel. Since the pressure was down it caused the tire to deform a little and some of the paint flaked off. I went over it again and it's fine.

I used a Sharpie paint pen. If you decide to do the same be sure to get the oil based ones, the water base wont work on rubber or so I'm told.

I probably made it more work for myself than I really needed to last year. When I first got the bike all put together and cleaned up I put some tire dressing on the slick. I then decided to do the stripe and had to clean it off. I had to go over it quite a few times with the paint pen, mostly due to the tire dressing.

Heap New 1.JPG

Heap New 2.JPG

Made a little progress this week on the Buzz-ard Bike and the Huffy. First I mixed up a new batch of oxalic acid and tossed the crusty sissy bar for the Huffy in. The tub I use wouldn't accommodate the entire bar so I had to do one end at a time. It turned out great and will just about perfectly match the level of funk the Huffy has acquired over is fifty some-odd years. While it was soaking I cleaned up a Schwinn S-7 front wheel and got it all back together for the Buzz-ard Bike.

Here's where 'fun' started............A while back I bought three NOS Wald head sets in anticipation of this years MBBO. I'd like to use the old stuff but often the stock bearings are thrashed and it's just not worth the effort. I got the fork on but nothing I did would get the play out of the fork. I messed with it for two hours or so and I had finally had enough (I'm not known for being the most patient guy anyway). I pulled the bike off my work stand and drove it fork first into the pavement................several times. The fork died an unnatural death and I celebrated by heaving it into the trash bin in my driveway.

That night I seriously considered throwing in the towel and listing every bicycle related thing I own for sale. Hobbies are supposed to be fun and this wasn't. I decided to give it one more go with another fork from a parted out blue Schwinn Fairlady that I found on the local Craigslist about a year and a half ago. Fortunately the Schwinn blue and the blue paint on the Western Flyer are a very close match. The Schwinn fork seated on the first try with no play and is as smooth as butter.

On to the next problem..............The NOS Troxel banana seat that I bought from some dude on Facebook is a little short and put the sissy bar at an awkward angle. I tried mocking it up mounted to the rear axle which would have worked but I really want to mount it to the factory fender mount holes. A friend of mine has had a hydraulic tube bender in his garage for fifteen years that he's never used so yesterday we Christened it. It worked great and it was free. I'll get a mock up photo and post it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dig the bend you got out of that seat post! It really complements the bend in the stays and the lean of the sissy. I heard you mention 'decision on the bars'....I'm thinking something taller, with a little sweep back might fit this well.

These are either a Wald or Sunlite bar I got from JBI.bike through my LBS. Not super tall, but the pull back and angle of the bar might work for your build.

IMG_20151109_121520.jpg

carverbeachcloseup.jpg

Dig the bend you got out of that seat post! It really complements the bend in the stays and the lean of the sissy.
Thanks, I'm also happy with the way it turned out. It put the shorter banana seat in the perfect spot.
I heard you mention 'decision on the bars'....I'm thinking something taller, with a little sweep back might fit this well.

These are either a Wald or Sunlite bar I got from JBI.bike through my LBS. Not super tall, but the pull back and angle of the bar might work for your build.

Those are ok but I don't really want to use anything new on this bike. I'm probably going to go with a set off a '68 Stingray. I've got the same ones on my '65 that's posted in this thread and I really like them. The ones pictured on the Buzz-ard are from a Schwinn exercise bike. I thought they would maybe give it a cool drag bike look but I don't really like them on this...............and it's really uncomfortable.

The '68/'69 Schwinn bars are hard to beat. Those should look good on there. Ironically @OddJob picked me up a set at a swap meet for my build last year.

Latest posts

Back