Western Flyer with Rocket Ray, quick find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was going through the local Facebook buy/sell group making sure all my old ads were deleted, I came across somewhere that I was asking for leads on old bikes, there was a really old reply of a guy who said he had an old Western Flyer, this was February of 2012. So I shot the guy a message and he still had the bike, I asked for more info, he sent me a photo, I offered $40, he countered with $50 for the older bike and a newer (70s) Western Flyer ladies bike. I said deal and asked where he lived, he said he would deliver. 10 minutes later he was at my house. Well, that escalated quickly.

Here's the boys bike, didn't take picture of other, nothing special.
photo1.jpg

Pretty crusty:
photo2-1.jpg

Looks like a rat to me:
photo3.jpg

Crusty, but pretty complete. That guard looks Huffy/Huffman to me.
The graphics look to still be in good shape considering the rust elsewhere.
VERY COOL FIND!!!

Good plan. Stabilize the rust, then preserve the story it tells.

I thought that it was a 26" when he sent the photo, was a little disappointed when I saw it was 24" but still happy with the deal.

I can't find one with that cool jet on it, but that guard is definitely a Huffy.
231332227627_1_0_1.jpg

I did a quick Google search and saw someone listing a "Huffy made Western Flyer" so no discrepancy there since Western Flyer was a store brand and Huffy a bike builder.

Yeah, Western Auto used many builders for their bikes. including Huffy.

I put air in the tires and rode it down the street, no issues. I took off the seat in the photo (a Messinger, but looks too new) and put on an older red seat that matches grips and pedals. Did an initial steel wood and WD40 job, colors coming out (black and red). Opened up the Super Rocket Ray and the battery tray is pristine, put in batteries and the switch works with volt meter, need to find my stash of little screw in flashlight bulbs to see it work. No photos because phone broke and too lazy to find my old camera.

Put apes and a nanner on it and enter the MBBO with it! :p:rockout:

That's a sweet deal and a nice find with such rich character and completeness Yoothgeye.
Your plan for finishing sounds just perfect.
I'm looking forward to those update pics. Cool.

Looks like a 1955 Deluxe Tank Model
ad-1955-Western-Auto-x-53.jpg

And looking at that picture, every detail is the same, the forks with the "W" and pinstriping, same sprocket, red grips and pedals, Super Rocket Ray. I'm liking my purchase more and more.

The previous owner said that many years ago he was out hunting and found an old shed in the woods, falling down, and this bike was in it.

I got some kenda WW 24s you can have if you pay shipping.

Latest posts

Back