Westfield Wasteland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well crud. The spokes on my skinny rim are just about a 1/4 inch too long to use on the 57mm rim... I could cut and thread them with my little die, but I ordered new stainless spokes instead. So the wheel is apart and no more riding it for a bit.
Good thing I got one last cruise in today...
IMG_20170528_171753.jpg

26 x 2.4 on a skinny rim, but not for much longer.
I also may swap out the seat again, I've been riding it and it's not as comfy as I wish it was.

Carl.

Last edited:
If you could bend that coin to fit a head tube, I can't think of a finer, more meaningful head badge.
Cool idea.
I've thought about making a mold of my challenge coin to make a badge for a Navy themed bike, mold making materials are easy to find.

If you could bend that coin to fit a head tube, I can't think of a finer, more meaningful head badge.
The current yr coin rests in my pocket. I did put a coin from yrs before on a guitar.

Carl.

Last edited:
Diet Coke? Yuk! I never drank :eek: diet beer,
and I don't drink diet soda pops...:confused:

Carl.
I never would touch a diet beer either back in the day...
hey, I never really drank pop...
until I quit the drink
I've witnessed too many casualties Carl, of folks that wised up, and instead drink 25 cups of coffee per day.
you have to light their freakin' cigarettes for them..

230.gif

I never would touch a diet beer either back in the day...
hey, I never really drank pop...
until I quit the drink
I've witnessed too many casualties Carl, of folks that wised up, and instead drink 25 cups of coffee per day.
you have to light their freakin' cigarettes for them..

230.gif
The truth is moderation in all things...
But then there's guitars and bikes and I can't get enough of either.
Carl.

That was a fun five pages to catch up on. Your builds are always a blast to watch. So many cool details and you show everything that you test on the build too.
Gonna steel that brass tack idea someday. Too cool!
Digging the fatty/skinny wheels/tires.
It has an aggressive bu sleek vibe.

So, I got a few things done since my return from synod assembly... (3 days away) I got the rear rim laced, close to true (there's not much clearance for error) and mounted. So I went for a spin.
KIMG0918.JPG
KIMG0919.JPG
KIMG0920.JPG

I had swapped out the racer pedals that kept flipping over since I have no shoes to match them... and I put the Brooks back on. Rode fine but I looked at the pictures and thought "No that's not the stance I want." So I stole the bars I had stretched for my Jaguar
( I had it out today too) Flipped them for that boardtracker look, took it for a short spin and now I'm happy. I've also found a repo dual spinning bell and an old flashlight to go in the Wald bracket. If I find me a speedo cable I'm rockin' it...
KIMG0922.JPG
KIMG0923.JPG
KIMG0924.JPG

I'm liking the rear tire...26 x 2.4 on a 57 mm rim.
I'm also liking my all original rectangle of rust headbadge.

Carl.

The flipped bars really look good! Not as comfortable I'm sure, but hey neither are the flipped rockers. That's rat rodding!

I would suggest a quick release seat post clamp to slam the seat for 'show and go'.
The Brooks has a nice place on the back for a gig bag... May toss a wrench in there since the frame pinches the post. Surprisingly it isn't too bad on the comfort as it is. I did have the bars on the other way and I could ride that all day.

Carl.

:heart:
That's the look!!!
I also just noticed the fade from chrome to black/front to back! Very cool.
Thanks man, means a lot!
It's an idea, partly from the parts I had but I wanted to give it that "headlong into the wind blown sands" look. Westfield Wasteland. There's more to the fade coming too. The original peaked fenders won't clear the back tire, but I've got a piece of a raggedy black one for the back and a skinny chrome for the front.

Carl.

Last edited:
Parts list as of 6/4/17
Frame: 1944 Westfield/Columbia built
Fork: chrome rat trap with flipped rockers
Seat Post: Chop Shop Customs by slowriderz
Saddle: Brooks B72
Bars: Unknown pullback mustache with 4 1/2" added
Crankset: Sunlight alloy double guard
spinning in a Black Ops conversion kit
Rear Hub: Bendix Red two band kickback coaster
laced to a 57 mm alloy rim
Tires: rear, CST Cyclops 26 x 2.4
front, Bontrager Select 27 x 1 1/4
Pedals: Wellgo BMX XC-II, black beartraps
Front Brake: no way...:eek: it's a suicide run wasteland crossing no stopping go man go...

Carl. [emoji450]

Last edited:
Just a fun post. How many ch-ch-ch-changes has this bike been thru so far?
KIMG0720.JPG
KIMG0791.JPG
KIMG0808.JPG
neoracer1.jpg
KIMG0918.JPG
slammed.jpg
6 if I keep it down to major parts and stances...
A rat bike ain't never done! (and this one isn't either)

Carl.

Well I took a pair of links out of the chain to get the 2.4 tire tucked into the fender better. Opened up a small can of worms... First off, I have to dimple the inside of the chain stays because they rub the tire now. Second, I need to space the fender away from the cross member to get it down enough. I also need about 3 or 4 feet of barbed wire...
1d46ab049eb6b68381b02d70a4922175.jpg
8b60f36b52e085620969fd79b3f1985a.jpg

I do like the look...
3e6b85dada024a30c300c75ac7e42bc8.jpg

Carl.

So I can ride in this position and I've tilted the bars down just a bit more to match the seat post angle. I also think removing the plastic guard on the crank is way better. I might put the og chain guard on, that is now bare metal and strip some of that rear fender to emphasize the shiny to black "fade" that RM has pointed out.
Windblown in the Wasteland.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back