what bicycle is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am away at college and my mom picked this up for me at a garage sale, any ideas what it is?
315309_2313361801274_1466291071_32628068_5707969_n.jpg

Jpromo said:
Looks like a late '30s Dayton/Huffman.

Could be, but it also looks like the '37ish CWC frame, with the closely spaced top bars. The chainguard is either Shelby or aftermarket, and the chainring, Dayton/Huffman.-Adam

davy B said:
its driving me crazy, i feel like i have seen this bike before but i just cant put my finger on it, its the top tube being parallel with the center tube that gets me

Colson, CWC, Dayton/Huffman, Schwinn, and Shelby all made frames like that between 1936-42. It's generally known as a "parallel bar roadster frame". -Adam

There are enough details available in the photo to pin this bike down as having a 1936-1937 Cleveland Welding built Double-Bar Roadster frame. Changes made to that frame during late 1937 show the bike to be pre 1938. The serial number could pin down the date a bit more closely.

From what I can see there is nothing else on the bike that is likely original to that frame. The fork looks to be CWC but the light strut marks that as 1940+. The other parts (with the possible exception of the #3 Wald stem and the bars) are a mix of parts from other bikes and generally newer than the date of the frame. That said, it has developed a very unifying patina and nothing on the bike is way out of period or character for a prewar model.

Latest posts

Back