What do I do with these free Motomag 2's?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was visiting some of my wife's relatives this past weekend. I got to talking with her uncle about the "good old day's" of BMX. Turns out he still has his 86' Redline with Skyway tuff's. He also had a set of Motomag 2's. Which I so luckily inherited! So a new project has just landed on workbench. Problem is I don't have a bike to put them on. Soooooo.... My question is. Did these wheels come standard on any frames? If so what years, brand, style etc.. I'd like to build something I can ride. I'm 5'9" and I'd love to have a BMX again. I'm not worried about it being all original or anything, but it would be cool to do something vintage looking. Maybe even have the wheels anodized or chrome plated. What do you think? The brake arm says Bendix. Is that how they all were?

5E6BE2A4-FBB0-4CD1-AA40-0D0F77CC43B6-10050-000012312A23308C.jpg

Motomags were the first offering from BMX Products Inc. that eventually produced Mongoose bicycles.

Because they started off as a wheel manufacturer, they were selling these as add on's to bikes back in the 70s up into the early 80s. When you look at the early BMX photos you will see kids had these on Sting-Rays and other mid 70s BMX bikes that were not Mongoose bikes.

That being said, you could throw these on an old Sting-Ray or track down a 70s-early 80s Mongoose Motomag frame and with a laid back seat post or a banana seat you should be able to ride the bike comfortably at 5'9" tall.

BTW...Don't mess with the original finish on these. In recent months all things early Mongoose have started to increase in value and it's hard to find an undamaged, clean original finish set like this for under $300.

Here's the Sting-Ray that I've been putting together to mimic the early 70s motos that kids were riding in California during the 70s.

DSC_0004.jpg

Thanks Rat Rod. If I read correct on vintagemongoose.com, the 2's were produced from 77' to 84'. Those Motomag frames look like they would be a little short for me. I did come across the Retro Goose by Knight BMX. That is something I would be interested in. Except I'd like to use a one peice crank, and no caliper brakes. I'm on the lookout! I have seen some of those Motomag frames on e-bay. Just not sure what I want to do yet. I can't help but feel that all this vintage BMX hype won't last too long.

Spincycle said:
I can't help but feel that all this vintage BMX hype won't last too long.

There are up's and down's in all the bike hobbies but the truly rare parts will always be in demands no matter the type. :D

Latest posts

Back