What is a 69er?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been out of the bike game a long time. Now Mtn bikes have 29" wheels! Weird. Anyway, perusing CL, and I found this for $800, but WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Is it a downhill bike? No, because it's a hard tail. Hill climber? Not with those wheels. Cross Country? Ok... but why the wheel difference?

Please educate me. :oops:

5E65T25X03Ef3K73H8c6fd1db6e0f849a1d32.jpg

An urban bomber... Potholes, what's that...Think curbs.. laugh... Think long urban stair ways... laugh...

I think you mean 29er a 69er is something quite different that can't be discussed here. :wink:

26 in the back 29 in the front.. street tires... 69er

29er is a mnt bike with 29 on both ends and knobbies.

I checked with my son. :D

mrfritz said:
26 in the back 29 in the front.. street tires... 69er

29er is a mnt bike with 29 on both ends and knobbies.

I checked with my son. :D
Ok, learn something new every day.

69ers are an idea that did not catch on in the mountain bike world due to not so great bike handling. The next wave after the 29er tires is 27.5 inch. Watch out for it. The best of both worlds with the 26" and 29".

they were supposed to acelerate faster than a 29" cause of the back wheel, and still roll over anything that got in the way.
I read a couple of reviews, never rode one

of course now that we are all getting used to 29ers, it looks like 650b (27.5") is coming...

I feel for bike shops that will need to stock tires for 12", 16", 18", 20", 24", 26", 27" road, 27.5"mtb, 650b road, 29"mtb, 700c, 32". After all that why not stock a couple of 36" for a Coker. I probably missed a few...

A 69er is a bike where you cannot rotate tires for longer life.
Shorter riders like me can get a better fit on a 69er because of the lower seat height allowed by a 26" rear wheel and still enjoy the benifits of a 29" front wheel.
The 26 and 29" wheel combo resembles the 18 and 21" wheel combo on off-road motorcycles.
You can convert your 26" mountain bike into a 69er with a new fork, front wheel and longer front brake cable.
Mountain bike racers in the recent summer Olympics looked to all be on 29ers.
if I still lived in Arizona, with very rocky, sandy trails, I might have converted to a 69er.
I dont really need the bigger front wheel in southeast Texas.

69ers are greatly underestimated. I spent some time on one of the first Trek 69s and I see the larger rolling front advantage and the acceleration advantage in the rear. I have been a diehard 26 singlespeed guy, but have recently drank the 29 koolaid and I like it. :mrgreen:

MBK214.six.293-399-75.jpg

Latest posts

Back