What is a Zenith?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I found this bike and I don't kno much about it? Who can help?

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    496.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 382
That's a nice tall frame! I agree, looks like a Snyder frame, chain wheel especially. Forward facing dropouts without the elongated bracket for the fender braces doesn't seem like Snyder but maybe it's from when they switched from the rear facing dropouts.

2012 conversation from the CABE:

"Zenith was the name on the bikes sold by the Marshall Wells Hardware stores. The bikes were actually manufactured by someone else, often the Cleveland Welding Company. If you look at photos of Cleveland Welding bikes, you may find some that are the same as your Zenith. Cleveland Welding also made bikes for Montgomery Wards (Hawthorne), Gambles Hardware (Hiawatha), Western Auto (Western Flyer) and others. They sold them also under their own name badged as Roadmaster."

"Not to say that there aren't any but I have never seen a Cleveland Welding built Zenith. They probably did use more than one manufacturer to supply them with bicycles over time but the most common supplier seems to be H.P. Snyder who also supplied to Montgomery Ward and to D.P. Harris."

It does say Marshall wells on it. Any idea of the time period?

All the zenith bikes I've seen were Monark based , nice find .

What numbers are on the bottom bracket?
I just thought of that too. Snyder had the reversed year from 40 to 55. My Snyder Hawthorne shows 24EH, making it a 42.

This bike should be 40's, going by the dropouts and chain ring. I'll bet the serial number verifies that.

The frame size is the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the seat collar. Usually the cruiser frames are 18", meaning most people have to raise the seat post pretty high to ride properly. I guessed yours at 20" because it looks nearly the same as my 42 Snyder frame.
images

DSCI0011.JPG

Beautiful bikes, both of them! I've been on the search for a Marshall Wells Zenith, it's nice to see that they're out there!

Latest posts

Back