What is happening to TV?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chips_Mahoy said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
If you've got time to watch TV, you've got time to build bikes!

Say it for me Jake....GET TO BUILDING!!!

I have been building but I'm waiting on my tires! Read my build thread! :lol:

I have. Down time from one build means build time on another... :D.

The pinstripes look good BTW.

All my other builds are waiting for parts, or waiting on welding repairs. Most everything else is finished at the moment.

TV is really weak these days. every network has "reality" shows. why? cause they don't have to pay writers or actors.
I love/hate it but the only one I will still watch it the pickers. it's all so fake, but they do show some cool stuff.
i do still watch SNL cause I've been watchin' for as long as i can remember.
maybe i'm a snob, but since i was a teen i thought watchin' TV was a waste of time unless it was educational or thought provoking.
yes i used always and still do watch jeorpardy.
and i loved TWIN PEAKS.
remember when the history channel showed shows about history? although if i recall in the mid 90s it was all about WW2. it should've been called the hitler channel :roll:

i will admit my guilty pleasure these days is that ancient aliens show. i know those guys are off their rockers, but that guy w/ the Robert smith hair cracks me up. "Oh, science cant explain it, but i can. it's aliens!" :roll: :lol:

beatcad said:
maybe i'm a snob, but since i was a teen i thought watchin' TV was a waste of time unless it was educational or thought provoking.

Thats not snob, it's smart :)

I'm not the "everything was better..." guy, but when it comes to entertainment, TV or Music, I think it's true.
Here in Germany, I grew up with MTV in the 90s. They played Nirvana, NOFX or Beastie Boys. They were in the Charts(!). Of course, there was some stupid trash too. The masses always need trash and stupidity, in every era. And yes, TV is supposed to be entertaining. But the amount of dumbness and the content have never been as disgusting as nowadays. Now music is just this senseless plastic pop (not even good electronic music) and on TV all you see are stupid cooking shows, talk shows with people doing nothing but to yell at each other, and lots of scripted reality, which makes almost the whole privat program.(We have privat and public channels here.I don't know how it is in America). Those scripted shows are the plague here for some years now.
My TV is switched off most of the time anyway. All I watch is sports (at least here they can't script) and Series from the US (Thank you for them, America), and I watch most of them on DVD anyway, because I can't stand watching them in Geman, which i another point why TV sucks here even more. At least you've got those great series like Breaking Bad,Dexter,Mad Men etc. Over here TV Shows are awful, as awful as the rest. The whole evening on public TV is filled with "Krimis" (whodunit/detective stuff), and most of them are totally boring.
Thanks to Internet and DVD, TV isn't necessary for me anymore. Going outside and/or riding your bike is the better choice anyway :)

marcus84 said:
beatcad said:

Thats not snob, it's smart :)

I'm not the "everything was better..." guy, but when it comes to entertainment, TV or Music, I think it's true.
Here in Germany, I grew up with MTV in the 90s. They played Nirvana, NOFX or Beastie Boys. They were in the Charts(!). Of course, there was some stupid trash too. The masses always need trash and stupidity, in every era. And yes, TV is supposed to be entertaining. But the amount of dumbness and the content have never been as disgusting as nowadays. Now music is just this senseless plastic pop (not even good electronic music) and on TV all you see are stupid cooking shows, talk shows with people doing nothing but to yell at each other, and lots of scripted reality, which makes almost the whole privat program.(We have privat and public channels here.I don't know how it is in America). Those scripted shows are the plague here for some years now.
My TV is switched off most of the time anyway. All I watch is sports (at least here they can't script) and Series from the US (Thank you for them, America), and I watch most of them on DVD anyway, because I can't stand watching them in Geman, which i another point why TV sucks here even more. At least you've got those great series like Breaking Bad,Dexter,Mad Men etc. Over here TV Shows are awful, as awful as the rest. The whole evening on public TV is filled with "Krimis" (whodunit/detective stuff), and most of them are totally boring.
Thanks to Internet and DVD, TV isn't necessary for me anymore. Going outside and/or riding your bike is the better choice anyway :)

Hey Marcus84......glad you enjoy Breaking Bad.....I worked on it Seasons 2 thru 5!!!!
Now if I can find someone who wants to trade Br Ba stuff for cool bikes!!!

Do not adjust your tv, what you see is the mental squat that the powers that are believe we need, want and deserve.

American restoration is hammed up for you, the viewer. Their work is nice.

I'm no advocate for smoking, but when the tobacco companies were allowed to advertise on TV, seems to me that the entertainment value of broadcast TV was better.

Started watching The Wonder Years on Netflix the other day, I remember when I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid because of the content ... so far it's pretty similar to what I've seen of that "Parenthood" show on TV now in a way ... except the cars and bikes in the background are way cooler.

When my boy started watching Disney Jr it quickly turned into this mind numbing monster ... I quickly got tired of hearing about going to DisneyJr.com to get this app or play this game or watch this minisode from a 4 yr old repeating what the TV is telling him. I switched the channel to Nick JR one day in an attempt to derail the Disney campaign ... after 30 minutes on another channel there were 3 different cereals and all sorts of toys he had to get instead :roll: Quickly went back to Disney JR :lol:

One of the few remaining shows I watch these days is Duck Dynasty. Never thought I'd like it but finally tuned in and did. Redneck hunters & their families having good old fashioned fun who ALWAYS close the show with a prayer is alright by me.

outskirtscustoms said:
I would cancel my cable but I'd miss Top Gear, Fast n' loud, and Gold Rush too much.

These and "Whats in the barn". Dale Walksler kind of annoys me but the boardtrackers and other early motor bikes he finds are amazing.

Never watched that one, I'll have to look it up. I loved Philly Throttle but I haven't seen an episode on in forever, Did they cancel it?

We haven't had "live tv" for about 3 years. For a year before that all we had was an antenna picking up local channels. For the past 3 we have had Netflix only. I love it. $8/month and I'm not on anyone else's schedule. I watch the shows I want, when I want them, without commercials. I know what my children watch, and when (or if). It's interesting that around Christmas time when we are asking them what they want, they really have to think about it because they haven't seen hours of commercials telling them what they want.

We don't have the news... what a blessing. Monday morning my kids wanted McDonalds for breakfast (don't judge me :lol: ) and they sat beneath the TV, my 10 year old was reading the scrolling headlines on CNN and worriedly telling me what she was reading... she doesn't need that, she's a kid.

Is everything on Netflix? Nope, and it doesn't bother me one bit, while other people are waiting for the day and hour that their show comes on, I'm outside having real experiences and making real memories. Then later I can play a show at my liesure. :mrgreen:

^^ I only watch my shows on the DVR, when convenient for me, and then I fast forward through the commercials. Unless of course it's the AT&T commercials with the cute kids, or the Will Ferrell Dodge lDurango commercials... (snicker)

pre-DVR the quality of my viewing was drastically lower.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
^^ I only watch my shows on the DVR, when convenient for me, and then I fast forward through the commercials.

X2 I love my DVR, half the time I forget what time or what day things come on because I'm too busy working on bikes or riding and don't get home in time. Also two of my favorite shows come on on two different channels at the same time so DVR both and watch them later.

Latest posts

Back