What is it? Flea Market Score...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTX

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC03605.JPG

Just wanted to ID the bike so I can find a headbadge...and a tank,if it ever had one as an option 8) BB s/n 441068
DSC03606.JPG

Funky reflector...Stock?

Mid 60s Murray, could have been badged as many different makes. Check on the brake arm side rear dropout, the real serial #s should be there. If it starts with 'MOD 502' it was made for Sears, 'WG' is Gambles Hiawatha, an X in there sometimes means Western auto, just to name a few. -Adam

The rear dropouts are not arrow-shaped like my other Murrays...So there is no room for a ser. # on it.The only numbers are on the BB...

Nice early to mid 60's Murray built bike! Really dig that rear reflector on the rear fender. Like previously mentioned, coulda been a Murray, Wester Flyer, J.C. Higgins, Sears or Hiawatha badges bike. I have Murrays with pointy and non pointy rear dropouts. Love the patina.

Thanks for the help...The badge was riveted on,unlike Western Autos with stickers I have had.I guess I'll look for a cool old one to replace it.

GTX said:
The rear dropouts are not arrow-shaped like my other Murrays...So there is no room for a ser. # on it.The only numbers are on the BB...

Hmmm, that's curious. In that case, I don't think it's a Murray frame. It may be an AMF with a Murray chainguard and chainring. Murray used the pointy dropouts on all full size cruisers into the early 80s. But a newer frame wouldn't have rivets on the head tube. And Huffys of the 60s have little end caps on the end of the cantilever tubes. So I'm thinking amf, definitley them if the dropouts have a recessed tab for the fender braces. -Adam

Latest posts

Back