What would you prefer? Crank talk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the advantages and disadvantages of one piece cranks, three piece cranks and cottered cranks and what would you prefer?

Last edited:
I prefer the old school one piece cranks. It's a whole lot easier to work on without buying a bunch of specialty tools. Plus, my favorite bikes, classic American cruisers all used the one piece cranks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I prefer the old school one piece cranks. It's a whole lot easier to work on without buying a bunch of specialty tools. Plus, my favorite bikes, classic American cruisers all used the one piece cranks.

When I get around to building a classic American cruiser I'm gonna convert it :bigsmile:

I like a one piece for an old time rail trail cruiser, or a cheap tosser, but for anything performance oriented, modern three piece is preferred, especially if it will be leaving the ground.

1 piece cranks are a pain to work on and adjust, are heavy, and don't block debris from going into the bearings. They are very robust and don't break as all the parts are bigger than usual. I don't have any problems with 1 piece cranks because they are on cheaper bikes that I don't ride seriously. If a bike has 1 piece cranks, it is not worthy of anything else. One serious problem I have, is lack of different sized chainrings for geared bikes. They make MANY singlespeed compatible ones, but with geared ones, you only get a 32 tooth or a 52 tooth.

1 piece cranks are a pain to work on and adjust, are heavy, and don't block debris from going into the bearings. They are very robust and don't break as all the parts are bigger than usual. I don't have any problems with 1 piece cranks because they are on cheaper bikes that I don't ride seriously. If a bike has 1 piece cranks, it is not worthy of anything else. One serious problem I have, is lack of different sized chainrings for geared bikes. They make MANY singlespeed compatible ones, but with geared ones, you only get a 32 tooth or a 52 tooth.
Thanks for your help

Not wanting to start an internet fight, but I am not seeing how three piece cranks are easier to work on than a one piece. Maybe it's all in what you grew up with.

I'll give you the sealed bearing option on the three piece is a plus.

You answered your own question, sealed bearing. No goo!

I know there are 3 pieces that still have loose bearings and cages, but they should be replaced at the first opportunity.

You can also replace your cranks and sprocket without dissembling the BB.

My experience with them is even a bog standard sealed shimano square taper BB will last practically forever with no maintenance. I have a 90s Giant mountain bike that the BB has never been changed or even maintained to any degree, still spins perfectly. And it's done a lot of miles.

My 2c, other's results may vary.

My 3 piece experience has been limited to regular square taper, no hollow spindles , splined, external bearings, or the thousand other variations. So I don't know how that changes things.

Last edited:
SquareTaper4Lyfe

I use cup/cone 3 piece BBs all of the time without issues. I'll even leave the bearing cages in on bikes I know will not get heavy use or have a Clydesdale rider, but freeball them otherwise. Blue Dream is getting a Campagnolo cup/cone/spindle and it'll be dialed in just right. Even so, I do enjoy the convenience of sealed cartridge BBs.

The 1940 Schwinn BMX has a one piece, seriously.
SchWINn.jpg

Just don't give me any dadgum cotter cranks. Aside from correct restoration purposes, you could melt down every last one on the planet for soup cans as far as I'm concerned.

Latest posts

Back