Whats a Monark project worth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A local antique mall has gotten a bunch of old bikes in. I believe the owner of the store is selling them. One is a Monark Firestone Super Cruiser-or what's left of one. Wheels are compeletly rusted, no front fender, rerar fender and rack are tweaked beyond saving. Tanks has a few rust holes. The frame and dual spring fork look solid, but the springs have a lot of rust on them. I asked how much, and was told $150 firm. Without pics, does the price sound good? They also have a Schwinn straight bar balloon bike with the correct fenders, springer, and chainguard, but eveyrthing else is wrong. I heard they wanted $200 for that. I'd almost like to ask the owner if he knows anything about old bikes because out of the 20 or so, I would say none are really more than parts bikes. I know what I've seen the Monark springers sell for on their own, and I think the frame has a really cool look to it.

Doesn't sound like there's much left to that Firestone. I'd say you could probably part it out and make a little bit or you could build it as a rat. If you're wanting to hunt down all of the missing/damaged parts and put it together that way, I'd say pass. You would have a small fortune in trying to track everything down. Just to give you an idea, I'm in the process of buying a Firestone Super Cruiser right now. It's 100% complete and original and it comes with some extra pieces. The only bummer is that the original paint is a complete mess. I'm paying $700 for it.

from your description .. and his firm price.. he will have it for a while.. and if there is that much rust the fork will not come
off clean .. so I would now bother with the monark

I went back at lunch to take another look. No chainguard, cranks look decent but frozen. Rear rack has a little piece at the back that is bent, but it looks like it could be taken off and repaired/replaced. And one of the fork legs that attach to the springs is bent. I think I'll pass
I did talk to the owner. He said he paid $1500 plus shipping from Kansas to California for them, and he said he sold about 10 before I saw them, so it wad probably about 40 or so bikes.

Not worth it to me. If he doesn't sell them he'll figure out he's out of the range. If you want to pay that, it's on you. We don't get many old bikes in Cali, but you might be better off waiting for something decent to pop up in here.

A monark dual springer fork is worth 100 at least a fixable thanks and a solid frame??? That's worth 150 to me! But I'm not cheep also! IMO I'd buy it for the springer!

Latest posts

Back