WHATS THE MATTER WITH THIS FORUM?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, was just getting ready to liven up this forum with a couple of builds of a 61 Columbia Firebolt boardtracker/ semi-test bed for some grubee 2 strokes. Had just swapped the Super-Rat motor into it with a smaller rear sprocket for some "more efficient mail-haulin' " 8) However I was letting my little brohansephski learn how to work a motorbike while he 'reassured' that he listened on how to slow down and corner 5 times in a row with "Yeah, I got it." Little sucker came into a corner too fast, didnt know how to slow down, hit a concrete barrier which pitched him up and over a 5 foot cast iron and steel cable fence post, and dropped him into a 20 ft ravine. Somehow he came out with just some roadrash on his inner arm and a due case of the suckitups, sadly that cant be said for the test bed. Conveniently this also means that I cant get to finishing my (attractive) '77 Metrocycle Boardtracker build :(

well that wasn't any good. I've been held up by rain then the welder wouldn't feed. spent 3 hrs on it and no go. so my buddy took it back to HF and they gave us a new one. we also got a 2yr warrenty on it just in case. so hopefuly I can get some more welding done on EL THUNDER. will see what happens tommorow.lol.

Outlaw 8)

Yeah seems like stuff from HF is hit or miss.. Either it works great and lasts a long time without issue, or it takes a big dump at a bad time and has to be replaced.

The problem is a few things when it comes to building a motorized bike.

1) Time (these take way more than other builds)

2) Money

3) Working around problems

Building a motorized bike takes much more problem solving specifically when you are using 4 stroke motor not designed for a bike like many of us.

I'm trying to work on making progress on the Fast :oops:

I'm not sure what I have into mine. It's got to be around $500 or more. They can be built cheap though. They can also be as complicated as you want.

Also, there are numerous motor bike forums.

yeah, I am in a slump myself on Thunder. I'll think it thru tho and get him done. of course while I am thingin I am doing 2 more builds.lol. so I hear ya all.

Outlaw 8)

OUTLAW said:
yeah, I am in a slump myself on Thunder. I'll think it thru tho and get him done. of course while I am thingin I am doing 2 more builds.lol. so I hear ya all.

Outlaw 8)

This is my problem. I go and put together other bikes quickly that don't have motors. :roll:

We are not getting motorized bike newbies here. Newbies ask a lot of questions and it is fun to see them learn. They are going to the forum sites dedicated to motorized bikes.

yeah I hear ya on that. too bad bit that is the way it goes . would really like to see more built and other different looking ones just to see what builders can come up with. I really enjoy all the BT's being built. you all that are buildin are doing a very nice job. your builds help me alot. thanks.

Outlaw 8)

I'm new here.
I just bought a rototiller with a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton and a Lincoln stick welder.
Now, I just need to save some pennies for a bike to build.
I'll post as soon as I get something going. Right now I've got a few other projects to get out of my workspace then, it's on to a bike.

chrisp, welcome to Rat Bikes. thanks for posting. we need some more motorheads on here. hope ya got some really kool ideas for a bike. will be a watching for your first build. good luck.

Outlaw 8)

Thanks for the welcome!
This is a great community with lot's of stoke goin' around.
I'll definitely post up what I got when I got it. It'll probably be a couple weeks tho...
In the meantime, I've been checking out the build off bikes. Some of those are just jaw-dropping!

Here is a 49 Schwinn I did with one of the cheap 2 cycle import motors.
100_1776em.jpg

Added a drum brake on front wheel...helps out the rear coaster.
100_1799email.jpg

I like that bike, even with that tank. most bikes I don't think look good with that tank but this one does. nice job. thanks.

Outlaw 8)

chrisp said:
I'm new here.
I just bought a rototiller with a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton and a Lincoln stick welder.
I'll post as soon as I get something going. Right now I've got a few other projects to get out of my workspace then, it's on to a bike.

get to practicing on that stick welder, bike tubes are thin...

scrumblero said:
chrisp said:
I'm new here.

get to practicing on that stick welder, bike tubes are thin...

Thanks, I will.
As soon as I get my power cord sussed out...
I printed this out: http://atomiczombie.com/ct-welding.html#welding
and have read it a few times. I plan on practicing a lot before I actually weld on a bike tube.

Latest posts

Back