Wheel Discs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were I to build a bike with disc wheels, this is the approach I'd take. At roughly $10 per disc, it's a thrifty suggestion.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/22-aluminum-pizza-tray-with-rim/407TP22.html

1099537.jpg

When using something flexible like that pizza pan or a paella pan lid, you're going to need something (wood blocks or L-brackets would do the trick) to positively attach the disc directly to the rim. I learned with my own paella lid install attempt that thinner discs flex enough when you hit bumps/apply lateral load, that they'll shift around and start spinning off-center. The only reason that the Moon discs don't shift around (if properly tightened) is that they're thicker/stiffer and have a really pronounced lip around the edge to keep them seated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and that pizza pan may work if you're using 65mm or 80mm wide rims, but "normal" width rims on standard 100mm/110mm hubs require a disc with some crown to the center of it.

Measure carefully when installing the fasteners and center hole, then the covers won't be able to shift. I would reject direct attachment. Just wedge them, using the standoffs I indicated, at several points around the wheel's perimeter. Three is probably enough--five would be better.

These pans are 18-gauge and pretty beefy. If that's a concern, one could always go with other 14-gauge versions. However, that means extra money and extra weight.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/am...ight-aluminum-coupe-pizza-pan/124HACTP22.html

Obviously, purpose-built Moon discs are the perfect solution...if you don't mind spending $90 apiece.

Measure carefully when installing the fasteners and center hole, then the covers won't be able to shift. I would reject direct attachment. Just wedge them, using the standoffs I indicated, at several points around the wheel's perimeter. Three is probably enough--five would be better.

These pans are 18-gauge and pretty beefy. If that's a concern, one could always go with other 14-gauge versions. However, that means extra money and extra weight.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/am...ight-aluminum-coupe-pizza-pan/124HACTP22.html

Obviously, purpose-built Moon discs are the perfect solution...if you don't mind spending $90 apiece.
In my application, I had to cut two of the center holes larger to clear the disc brake mounting flanges. As you indicated, the two that fit snugly didn't have as much of a tendency to shift after jumping off curbs, etc., but once the one on the other side of the wheel shifted, the tension on the T-bolts became uneven, and the whole mess started to get wobbly.
Many old school front hubs aren't going to have anything to center them off of that spins with the wheel, so that probably won't help much there, either.

You and I can certainly agree that each individual application will present its own set of unique challenges. You're also right to point out potential pitfalls when one travels the less-followed path.

With adequate planning, I believe these concerns can be mitigated while using the materials I suggested. That's where Ferdy's craftsmanship will come into play. Personally, I'd first create a cardboard template to better check fitment and position, before committing to the metalwork. This level of detail may demand irregularly-shaped openings, rather than simple round holes. Hand filing might be involved. More work to be sure, but all part of the artistry. One thing is sure--Ferdy's bike will be Built, not Bought.

Latest posts

Back