Wheel lacing question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to learn wheel lacing, so before stepping off into the unknown I grabbed a couple of old front wheels I had lying around to practice on.
the first one, I took it apart, cleaned up most of the rust, cleaned up and re-greased the hub, and following a book I have, laced it up, trued it up, and success! :D

so, not too cocky, I took the second one apart, did the cleanup, and laced it up yesterday.

I'm doing something wrong. The spokes are all slack, and when I tighten the nipples up the spokes are too long. :(
well I know they are not too long, they were on the wheel originally.

anybody got a quick answer? I suspect the I didn't get the hub rotated enough half way thru the process. :oops:
I'll take it apart and watch another video. Just hoping somebody can give me a quick clue what to look for.

thanks in advance!

best thing to do is post a picture. someone can probably see the problem right away.

someguy83 said:
it may have been a different lace pattern. if you did a skip 2 and it is too slack try a skip 3, if you did 3 then redo as a skip 4.

ding, ding, ding.

skip 4 did the trick. I looked at it before I took it apart, and thought it was skip 3. learning by doing! :D

thanks guys!

Uncle Stretch said:
Yall are doing way to much skipping......its cross two, cross three , and cross four. :wink:
Ahhhh, you knew what I meant. :lol:
jerrykr said:
someguy83 said:
it may have been a different lace pattern. if you did a skip 2 and it is too slack try a skip 3, if you did 3 then redo as a skip 4.

ding, ding, ding.

skip 4 did the trick. I looked at it before I took it apart, and thought it was skip 3. learning by doing! :D

thanks guys!
Glad to be able to help. I have had the same issue before so don't kick yourself too hard over it.

Latest posts

Back