When a crazy idea becomes reality

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little more today.
This is the rear of the underside

20161230_130513_zpsreudgoqk.jpg

Made in the same way as before.

This is just the rough shaping, I have loads more to do to smooth it all out. The two halves don't quite flow together, so I'll work on this before I weld them together.

20161230_124747_zpsxyixziaj.jpg

I feel like I've made an aluminium canoe! Good job it's not snowing here or I might have been tempted to use it as a sledge lol

It's a little something I made a few years ago. I've kinda pinched a few parts off it over the years lol

It used to look like this

P1010210_zps68c664b8.jpg

:)

It's actually thanks to this that I got the job. I was riding it round when I saw the workshop full of vintage cars. I went in and asked if he was hiring. He said that if I could show I could fabricate he would think about it. I showed him the bike I'd propped up outside. He took me on there and then!

It amazes me the level of talent and creativity of people that find their way to this site.

It amazes me the level of talent and creativity of people that find their way to this site.

The world is full of talented people !

Although I'm from England I like this site and chose it to do my build blog. The english based cycling sites tend to be aimed more at the lycra wearing road warriors and less at the more open minded. If it wasn't for my kids I'd be living in usa. I have worked over there and had plenty of job offers.......

It's a little something I made a few years ago. I've kinda pinched a few parts off it over the years lol

It used to look like this

P1010210_zps68c664b8.jpg

:)

It's actually thanks to this that I got the job. I was riding it round when I saw the workshop full of vintage cars. I went in and asked if he was hiring. He said that if I could show I could fabricate he would think about it. I showed him the bike I'd propped up outside. He took me on there and then!
:happy: Great story! I wouldn't want to sell it either!

Done some more today :)

Once I was happy with the fit on the buck of the two halves, it was time to weld them together. With aluminium tig welding cleanliness is everything, so the edges that are to be welded are chemically cleaned then gone over with a rotary wire brush

20170107_131624_zpsvstdsfc2.jpg

Then, after a final fit check, they are tacked together

20170107_132935_zps5udkx11q.jpg

Then fully welded

20170107_143046_zpsvcurcte3.jpg

The welds are then crushed between a hammer and dolly

20170107_145247_zpsljplnrni.jpg

At this point it was obvious that there was a flat spot on the main part. Rather drastic measures were called for as it's now too big for me to get into the english wheel. Out came the big hammer lol

20170107_151121_zpsonb6ywrw.jpg

Again more smoothing out with a flat hammer and dolly, then the body file is run over the area

20170107_152640_zpsutex98ne.jpg

This highlights the high and low spots. The low spots are stretched upwards, again with hammer and dolly. This is known as planishing and it's boring!

After a while the panel starts to come good

20170107_155157_zpsq2tuhxyi.jpg

I plan to have this sidecar in polished bare metal so much more planishing lies ahead.....:(

Planishing planishing planishing......

I am working on this but not bothering to post photos........"oh look, that bit is now slightly smoother" lol
I spend half an hour or so on it most mornings as a "warm up" for work :)

Nearly finished the underside now. The next job is to start making the sides. These will be smaller panels and (hopefully) quicker.

I plan to spend half a day on it on Friday so I should be posting pictures then.

Latest posts

Back