When you see a guy on a woman's bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of us who have kids in a kid seat, it is so much easier. Sure the seat is on my wifes bike but I ride it too. Swinging you leg over or around the kid in the seat is kind of tricky on a "mens" frame. When we have another one I think I'll build a trike so I can snap on the car seat.
In short, a guy riding around on a pink cruiser with daisies on it gets a chuckle, but a guy with a kid seat on there gets my understanding.

Doesn't matter what style of the frame, as long as the wheels are rolling!

I only have one "womens" bike. It's a 47 Roadmaster and it's cooler than a lot of my other bikes. And cooler than a lot of men's bikes I have seen.

MERK said:
Lots of old guys ride a step through style frame because they can`t throw a leg over the saddle anymore. I say "more power to `em" ...at least they`re still on two wheels! :)

A old football buddy of mine rides a woman's bike due to having so many knee surgeries. It's a sight to see a 6' 5" 280+ lbs man riding a woman's bike, that being said I don't have the nuggets to tease him.

Plus like you said more power to 'em!!

Step-thru bikes are (usually) not as resilient as "men's" frames and the seat posts tend to be short. I'm sure some guys use them for local transport 'cause they can be had cheap, and aren't as likely to be stolen. Sometimes when I see a young man on a "lady's" or a kids bike, I wonder if he stole it. :?

Before I moved to the sticks it seemed like lots of homeless/drunkie types rode "womens" "mixte" or whatever style frames, often with the ever popular "flipped up" road drop bars or MTB flat bars with the bar ends pointing up. They seemed popular in the ghetto.

Here in the "sticks", most people ride sweet bikes, lots of the older folks are on "unisex" frames, which I must admit some of the new ones with the single large diameter curved downtube (no top tube) look kind of nice, cant wait to get old, hopefully "unisex" will be cool by then. Up here as well though, the homeless/drunk/druggie types still ride girls bikes. I often wonder when I see the same person riding frequently, are they a fitness freak or just a DUI offender......

12gaugesage said:
Up here as well though, the homeless/drunk/druggie types still ride girls bikes. I often wonder when I see the same person riding frequently, are they a fitness freak or just a DUI offender......

Hey now I'm all of the above but a fitness freak and I still have more self respect than to be seen on a girls bike.

maddogrider said:
If your gonna ride a girls bike you should wear a skirt, and maybe put a basket on the front for your purse. :lol: :lol: :lol:.

This is how my father felt, every time he saw one of us boys on a girls bike, he would go get one of my moms ugliest dresses and make them put it on and ride around the block. Some times we don't have a boys bike to ride( like when we were at our aunts house she has three girls).

I say ride what you got, or walk, I'll ride thank you.

I have an old Ross Cruiser girls framed bike that I ride in nasty weather. I put on 24" Mountain bike tires and some old handlebars I had laying around. For a "Girls" frame I like how it looks and have no problem riding it. It's not a bike that makes you a man, it's the size of your ca-hone's.

This is a pic of when I got it, it's been changed a few times, but still enjoy having a bike that I'm not worried about it getting dirty or muddy, or covered in slush. I even take this bike on camping trips for the same reason. I need to get a new chain on it here soon though, finally busted the one that came on it, not sure if it was original or not. I used it for some lake jumping this past summer.
IMG_0275.jpg

Buck, I have the same Ross in silver. I like a lot of the lines of ladies bikes that I have. I have a mid sixties Hawthorne ladies tank bike that I put a banana seat on and wider bars. I took a tall sissy bar off a chopper bike I have and it looks pretty cool. Left in rusty and crusty for now until I decide on a paint scheme. My dad always made fun if I rode on a girls bike but, he once bought a motorcyle from a lady who rode it and it had a rainbow sticker on the rear fender. I teased him about it out of revenge. :lol: Most of the ladies bikes I find or get cheap are good riders because they are in better shape. Steel and rubber is steel and rubber to me.

Here is the bike I was talking about.

DSC01626a.jpg

I plan on some well used dark blue fenders, mustache bars maybe primered red (the chrome is ruined) , some rusted wheels from a mountain style bike and a springed seat. I am going to remove the decals as well.

I am going to use the bars, wheels, shifters, and seat off of this one. I hate tearing apart a perfectly good bike, but this one will still be useable in the end.

The front wheel cleaned up nicely, but the gumwalls are trash. I know the parts aren't high quality, but they are on hand so that's a plus.

To answer my original question, I see a bike as a bike. I would ride anything as long as it rolled.

It's a lot easier to get on a lady's bike when there's a baby in a seat on the back. The baby really gets mad cause you have to lean the bike way over to get your leg over cause you can't swing your leg around the back like you usually do.
You can try to get on the bike and then pick up the baby to strap her in but it'll be hard to catch her while your standing over a bike cause she's still mad about the last time you put her in the seat.

I have a 70's-ish huffy sportsman or should I say sportswoman with a three speed gripshift, and it is the best beater bike ever. I acctually enjoy the extra room between my junk and the standover bar, call me crazy...
2010-06-02162911.jpg

The day I found her at the goodwill drop off.

Latest posts

Back