Which Tires are better, Vee Rubber 8 or Origin 8 Devist-8Er?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm buying a Sun Spider to replace my recently sold Beast........I'm going to buy a base beast then in a few months buy two new wheels (I'm liking the Metallic Green ones) with a Shimano Nexus 7 laced into the rear....prolly sell the stock wheelsets from the spider here as well.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Spider is the tires which I'll be replacing immediately and selling the Spider tires (prolly on this forum here)...

I'm looking at the Veer Rubber 8's 120TPI tires for 79.95/each here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vee-Rubber-.../131052666849?pt=US_Tires&hash=item1e8358ffe1

or the Origin 8 Devist-8Er 2 Tires (Wire Bead) for 35/each here:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Origin-8-Devist-8Er-2-Fat-Bike-Tire

I really like what I've read about the Vee'8s...but .... that's alot of coin for bicycle tires....

Better in what way?

Lighter? Better traction in sand. Better traction in snow? Lower rolling resistance on pavement?

My experience racing mtbs is every race course favors a particular style of suspension and tire tread. "Better" is different every day.

of those two, the Vee is far lighter weight and will accelerate much easier. It has closer spaced square nobs that will have less rolling resistance on most surfaces. The Devist tire will have better traction in snow.

The tpi, threads per inch, of 120 is pretty fine for tires. That means a more supple tire casing that will roll over objects easier. 120 is pretty small, ie, thinner threads in the casing, hence the far lighter weight.

Last edited:
Gotcha....90% of my riding is "Cruising" around the neighborhood....I'm looking for a tire with really low rolling resistance that's soft & smooth riding

the Vee Speedster's (26x3.5) on my wife's Sun Crusher ride amazing compared to other tires I've had on bicycles....

Latest posts

Back