White Lightning

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com
:lol: Since the responce to this bike has been positive-- :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna build an 88(?) Schwinn Montague
And if you missed how I got it home(10mi)

Now it's time to remove the cable stays

Goodbye-derailer and cantilever mounts

Stripped down with an idea af what I have to work with
:D :D Boy this is fun! :D :D

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com

Started to sand the frame down and realized the factory finish is hard! had to go to the roto stripper! After about an hour my drill crapped the bed. My cheap Ryobi cordless is obviously just for minor home projects! Gonna have to bring home the 18v Dewalt to finish stripping! The 3M Sanding disk had no problem doing this:

Which is funny considering it had origional paint plus a paint over! L8 EM

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com

Finally able to strip it to bare metal! A little bondo and touch sanding and shes ready for paint!OOOOWWWWWOOOOOHHHSHINNEYMETAL! Although I'm kinda flabergasted because someone else is using the same sprocket as me.What are the odds? Oh well!
Are we still having fun? (It snowed here yesterday. Hows my paint gonna dry?) TC EM

Aug 29, 2007
a neat idea to think about

Would it be possible to hook cables from the front fork or handlebars to the rear triangle and have it turn also at the same time, if you crossed the cable so when you turn right the rear triangle would swing to the left so you could move sideways. the only problem is that you would have to move a bottom bracket up higher and on top of the front down tube. I think that would freak people out to see a rad rod swing bike classic.

What do you think?

Doug

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com
Darn it Hooch!I had a feeling U'd comment about that frame! She's so old I have'ta take my time with her!LOL! That's the 1 I'm looking for a cool old stem 4! I'm watching ur progress 2 fella!L8 EM

cman

Dec 4, 2006
Boise,ID
Duke,, I see two cool frames. The old one is sweet. The Whitelightning could be a cool swing bike.

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com
I think it would be a cool frame to turn into a swingbike. Unfortuntly I'm not that mechanecly inclined! :oops: (Or spelling!) If it involves a Hardwood floor I'm all over it! Or wood in general. Trying to come up with a cantilever system......................Maybe on another build! I might still have this frame!L8 Em ps:Will post some photos later because I aquired(free)some new handlebars an am not sure which way to go. :?: :?:

Aug 29, 2007
TheDuke said:
I think it would be a cool frame to turn into a swingbike. Unfortuntly I'm not that mechanecly inclined! :oops: (Or spelling!) If it involves a Hardwood floor I'm all over it! Or wood in general. Trying to come up with a cantilever system......................Maybe on another build! I might still have this frame!L8 Em ps:Will post some photos later because I aquired(free)some new handlebars an am not sure which way to go. :?: :?:
Anybody live near the "Duke" that could help him with the swing setup or graft up a drawing......

Doug

Jun 8, 2007
I had a Schwinn Montague in college. It was nice to fold it up and store it in the wardrobe, although the ride was a little scary if I forgot to tighten the quick releases!!

Good luck with your build!

Gen

Aug 16, 2007
Klamath Falls,OR
Myspace.com
Guess it's time to start painting!

Perfect weather for it!It was 25d this morning and its 36d right now! Guess I'll wait till I get home tomarrow afternoon! Gonna have to bring her into the house to dry! :roll: :roll:
This is what shes getting bombed with:

Now this is fun! :wink: L8 EM