White Lightning

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 2 BIKES' started by TheDuke, Sep 16, 2007.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke

:lol: Since the responce to this bike has been positive-- :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna build an 88(?) Schwinn Montague[​IMG]And if you missed how I got it home(10mi)[​IMG]
    Now it's time to remove the cable stays[​IMG]
    Goodbye-derailer and cantilever mounts [​IMG]
    Stripped down with an idea af what I have to work with[​IMG] :D :D Boy this is fun! :D :D

2. xddorox

xddorox

Man what a strange, yet cool, frame design! Did you play the music from "Romeo and Juliet" while dismantling it? :D

3. TheDuke

TheDuke

:lol: Acually I was listening to the Punk channel on Sirius Sattalite Radio! Great motivation for running a grinder!L8 EM

4. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

That is a wild frame!

Awesome photos too.

5. TheDuke

TheDuke

Thanks! The rear acually folds into the front after popping 2 quick relese's and a pin by the seat post. I'll be bolting those up because I'm trying to make her look old!L8 EM

6. TheDuke

TheDuke

7. TheDuke

TheDuke

[​IMG]
    Started to sand the frame down and realized the factory finish is hard! had to go to the roto stripper! After about an hour my drill crapped the bed. My cheap Ryobi cordless is obviously just for minor home projects! Gonna have to bring home the 18v Dewalt to finish stripping! The 3M Sanding disk had no problem doing this:[​IMG]
    Which is funny considering it had origional paint plus a paint over! L8 EM

8. TheDuke

TheDuke

[​IMG]
    Finally able to strip it to bare metal! A little bondo and touch sanding and shes ready for paint!OOOOWWWWWOOOOOHHHSHINNEYMETAL! Although I'm kinda flabergasted because someone else is using the same sprocket as me.What are the odds? Oh well!
    Are we still having fun? (It snowed here yesterday. Hows my paint gonna dry?) TC EM

9. RecumbentCountry

RecumbentCountry

a neat idea to think about

Would it be possible to hook cables from the front fork or handlebars to the rear triangle and have it turn also at the same time, if you crossed the cable so when you turn right the rear triangle would swing to the left so you could move sideways. the only problem is that you would have to move a bottom bracket up higher and on top of the front down tube. I think that would freak people out to see a rad rod swing bike classic.

What do you think?

Doug

10. Hooch

Hooch

man I wish I had a bike frame as cool as that old rollfast!
    oh wait I did! lol

11. TheDuke

TheDuke

Darn it Hooch!I had a feeling U'd comment about that frame! She's so old I have'ta take my time with her!LOL! That's the 1 I'm looking for a cool old stem 4! I'm watching ur progress 2 fella!L8 EM

12. cman

cman Moderator

Duke,, I see two cool frames. The old one is sweet. The Whitelightning could be a cool swing bike.

13. TheDuke

TheDuke

I think it would be a cool frame to turn into a swingbike. Unfortuntly I'm not that mechanecly inclined! :oops: (Or spelling!) If it involves a Hardwood floor I'm all over it! Or wood in general. Trying to come up with a cantilever system......................Maybe on another build! I might still have this frame!L8 Em ps:Will post some photos later because I aquired(free)some new handlebars an am not sure which way to go. :?: :?:

14. RecumbentCountry

RecumbentCountry

Anybody live near the "Duke" that could help him with the swing setup or graft up a drawing......

Doug

15. Gendry

Gendry

I had a Schwinn Montague in college. It was nice to fold it up and store it in the wardrobe, although the ride was a little scary if I forgot to tighten the quick releases!!

Good luck with your build!

Gen

16. TheDuke

TheDuke

Thanks Gendry! Feeling a little sickly this weekend so I accomplished nothing! :( But had lots of stuff waiting for me when I got home today! :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]
    Guess it's time to do something! L8 EM

17. VicXsaN

VicXsaN

nice parts!

18. TheDuke

TheDuke

Guess it's time to start painting!
    [​IMG]
    Perfect weather for it!It was 25d this morning and its 36d right now! Guess I'll wait till I get home tomarrow afternoon! Gonna have to bring her into the house to dry! :roll: :roll:
    This is what shes getting bombed with:
    [​IMG]
    Now this is fun! :wink: L8 EM

19. TheDuke

TheDuke

Off to fire up the old console stereo to prep her out! :roll: GOnna listen to some Johnny Cash on the turntable!Gotta go oldschool! :wink: Get Rytham!Em

20. sensor

sensor

hooooooooooooooly heck!!!!!!!!!!! i thought i was the last person on earth to listen to records!!!!!!!!! great to hear im not alone :shock: