White Lightning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:lol: Since the responce to this bike has been positive-- :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna build an 88(?) Schwinn Montague
Emsbikes033.jpg
And if you missed how I got it home(10mi)
Emsbikes030.jpg

Now it's time to remove the cable stays
Emsbikes002.jpg

Goodbye-derailer and cantilever mounts
Emsbikes004.jpg

Stripped down with an idea af what I have to work with
Emsbikes008.jpg
:D :D Boy this is fun! :D :D

:lol: Acually I was listening to the Punk channel on Sirius Sattalite Radio! Great motivation for running a grinder!L8 EM

Thanks! The rear acually folds into the front after popping 2 quick relese's and a pin by the seat post. I'll be bolting those up because I'm trying to make her look old!L8 EM

Emsbikes013.jpg

Started to sand the frame down and realized the factory finish is hard! had to go to the roto stripper! After about an hour my drill crapped the bed. My cheap Ryobi cordless is obviously just for minor home projects! Gonna have to bring home the 18v Dewalt to finish stripping! The 3M Sanding disk had no problem doing this:
Emsbikes012.jpg

Which is funny considering it had origional paint plus a paint over! L8 EM

Emsbikes.jpg

Finally able to strip it to bare metal! A little bondo and touch sanding and shes ready for paint!OOOOWWWWWOOOOOHHHSHINNEYMETAL! Although I'm kinda flabergasted because someone else is using the same sprocket as me.What are the odds? Oh well!
Are we still having fun? (It snowed here yesterday. Hows my paint gonna dry?) TC EM

a neat idea to think about

Would it be possible to hook cables from the front fork or handlebars to the rear triangle and have it turn also at the same time, if you crossed the cable so when you turn right the rear triangle would swing to the left so you could move sideways. the only problem is that you would have to move a bottom bracket up higher and on top of the front down tube. I think that would freak people out to see a rad rod swing bike classic.

What do you think?

Doug

Darn it Hooch!I had a feeling U'd comment about that frame! She's so old I have'ta take my time with her!LOL! That's the 1 I'm looking for a cool old stem 4! I'm watching ur progress 2 fella!L8 EM

Duke,, I see two cool frames. The old one is sweet. The Whitelightning could be a cool swing bike.

I think it would be a cool frame to turn into a swingbike. Unfortuntly I'm not that mechanecly inclined! :oops: (Or spelling!) If it involves a Hardwood floor I'm all over it! Or wood in general. Trying to come up with a cantilever system......................Maybe on another build! I might still have this frame!L8 Em ps:Will post some photos later because I aquired(free)some new handlebars an am not sure which way to go. :?: :?:

TheDuke said:
I think it would be a cool frame to turn into a swingbike. Unfortuntly I'm not that mechanecly inclined! :oops: (Or spelling!) If it involves a Hardwood floor I'm all over it! Or wood in general. Trying to come up with a cantilever system......................Maybe on another build! I might still have this frame!L8 Em ps:Will post some photos later because I aquired(free)some new handlebars an am not sure which way to go. :?: :?:

Anybody live near the "Duke" that could help him with the swing setup or graft up a drawing......

Doug

I had a Schwinn Montague in college. It was nice to fold it up and store it in the wardrobe, although the ride was a little scary if I forgot to tighten the quick releases!!

Good luck with your build!

Gen

Thanks Gendry! Feeling a little sickly this weekend so I accomplished nothing! :( But had lots of stuff waiting for me when I got home today! :D :D :D :D

Emsbikes015.jpg

Guess it's time to do something! L8 EM

Guess it's time to start painting!
Emsbikes017.jpg

Perfect weather for it!It was 25d this morning and its 36d right now! Guess I'll wait till I get home tomarrow afternoon! Gonna have to bring her into the house to dry! :roll: :roll:
This is what shes getting bombed with:
Emsbikes018.jpg

Now this is fun! :wink: L8 EM

Off to fire up the old console stereo to prep her out! :roll: GOnna listen to some Johnny Cash on the turntable!Gotta go oldschool! :wink: Get Rytham!Em

Latest posts

Back