why are my wheels ticking???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so riding around last night, on my fixie, i noticed both my wheels make an interesting noise. the front has a tick, and the back has a creak. i know its a single spoke in the wheel(not the tires or anything else), but have no idea why its happening, and no idea how to fix it. its not loud, but i wont ride the bike untill i can fix it. :? any ideas?

Try lube on the chain first and check chain tension ..Not too tite. This solves alot of weird noises

Ticking/clicking could be a bearing, when they make noise it gets passed on through the spokes. Possibly insufficient wheel tension. Check for spokes that go thunk instead of thwang. Also try removing wheel reflectors, if you have them.

...and sometimes a drop of lube where the spokes cross will solve a little noise like that.

....and sometimes if you have a cyclocomputer you can hear the little reed switch in the sensor.

Bendix said:
....and sometimes if you have a cyclocomputer you can hear the little reed switch in the sensor.
whats that? :lol:
thanks guys, ill inspect the tension, i know its not bearings, i checked that.
2manybikes said:
Maybe they are about to explode ? :lol:
that was my thought. :lol:

x2 for bearings, same will happen in your vehicle. I had nice clunk this morning on a ride, with every rotation of the crank I'd get a nice solid CLUNK! felt like bottom bracket for sure, I was especially wary since I had just got done repacking all the bearings on the bike earlier this week, figured out the kickstand was half-cocked and the crank was hitting it on every rotation, felt much better after figuring that one out!

A loose spoke will click too. My fixie was doing just that, but they were ALL loose.

Loose spokes, bad freewheel, if you have threaded BB cups, it could be dirt in the threads of the cups (clicking when pedaling only).

Take everything apart, soak everything in diesel or gas (don't smoke if gas), clean everything, put everything back together with a ton of grease. Tighten everything well, ride, tighten again.

No more clicky.

Dirt makes clicks, loose makes clicks.

definitly a loose spoke, the bearings are awesome. ill tighten up the spokes and see what happens.

I though i had a bad bearing in my front hub when i heard a clicking noise. Turned out to be a tiny bead of metal inside my rim (double wall) from when the seam was welded. No way to get it out...

Latest posts

Back