Why not here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all, I just really want to know why all the best bikes I see on here are on the East Coast or Midwest? I'm in Cali and all I can find is a cancer ridden 195? ladies Schwinn bike for 200. There are a few good deals out here but nothing to write home about. I'm guessing there are no good barns out here to raid. I'm almost ready to move east and find out why? LOL Cheers :lol:

Just got to know the right people. If you can pay shipping i can probably find you a good deal out here. What are you looking for?

Karfer and sensor bought them all.

Yeah there sure are a ton over here! Come on over, I could use some help. Lol! Don't feel quite so bad cuz we even pay the price over here, unless you really head out on the back roads and for hours n hours scan the countryside. Even if you find a great deal you gotta remember how many hours and how much gas you went through to get it! My Chevy 350 sure eats gas on those hilly country roads!
I think craigslist isn't much different here than it is there, just more choices on what to spend top dollar on!

Yeah once in a while you can get a good one at a good price on C-list but not often. I just lowered my standards to huffys and spend money to customize it. Also I talk to all the local junkers and tell them I buy any bikes for cash. 9 times out of 10 I get a bunch of huffys and murrys but once in a while something really good comes in. I also do bike repair so I use up parts quick or just part them out and cut the frames in half and make tire hangers out of them.....lol.

It was pretty easy to find stuff 25 yrs. ago when I first started buying old bikes. Stuff was cheap too. I don't beat the bushes like I used to but there is still a lot of stuff out there. You just have to turn over every stone and ask everyone you know. Gary

Decedent said:
Hey all, I just really want to know why all the best bikes I see on here are on the East Coast or Midwest? I'm in Cali and all I can find is a cancer ridden 195? ladies Schwinn bike for 200. There are a few good deals out here but nothing to write home about. I'm guessing there are no good barns out here to raid. I'm almost ready to move east and find out why? LOL Cheers :lol:
It's funny, I was wondering why all the good bike runs and rides seem to be on the west coast... :?

When I lived in FL it was impossible to find anything, I think everything there only lasts like 20 years and rusts away from so much humidity. Even finding cool project cars was impossible, you would never see 60's cars on the freeways... here in AZ there is a lot of cool unmolested raw material.

Ok ,Ive decided to head east to get my fix. LOL I have come across a couple good finds today,but not what I'm personally looking for. I build bikes pretty often(working only 3 days a week isnt paying the bills) so I build and sell on CL. I just sold my 37 Rollfast to make way for a new project but just can't find something I like without forking over a few hundred bones. That's why I hang around this site so often,Too much good stuff.LOL Ride on Rats!

Just to let you know dude my buddy's finally cleaning out his garage, I'm going to get pics tomorrow but here's the link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29759

you have to remember that the majority of the bikes,came out of chicago and ohio. seems like the farther away you get from there,the harder it gets to find nice old bikes! :( the great lakes states and the new england area,seems to be the prime pickin spots!

texasbigjon said:
you have to remember that the majority of the bikes,came out of chicago and ohio. seems like the farther away you get from there,the harder it gets to find nice old bikes! :( the great lakes states and the new england area,seems to be the prime pickin spots!

Not as much as you'd think, Remember we are in the "rust belt" Bikes don't last more than 5-10 years and they rust into nothing. once in a great while you find them in barns and garages but you have to give your first born to get them

I have though about giving up some blood for extra cash.....Oh and thanks OutSkirt for the headsup on your buddy cleaning out the garage. I might be interested.

Just keep a close eye of my thread, I'm going there today at noon to get pics. so they should be on there by 5. Yes there's that much stuff...lol.

theyre still out there....just gotta think about unlikley places since the obvious have been picked over or will be since theyre so easy to find. also helps to know others that will keep an eye out for you as well.
what kinda stuff are you looking for? if its schwinn its always gonna go fast and most often be overpriced. thats part of the reason i started doing prewar motobikes....they werent really popular since everyone was going after cantis & straightbars & muscle bikes...but now theyre known well and getting pricey as well...thats why i started building my own frames.
helps to post an add in the wanted section....youd be surprised at what you can get(9 times out of 10 for a good price) from here.

I got pics up on my posting if you want to take your pick, he said to take offers on everything for now so let me know if there's something you like.

Latest posts

Back