WINTER BUILD OFF: ~irRATional~ Fe2O3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want brass to get that old, greenish patina, you can set it in a shallow bowl with sawdust soaked in ammonia with a loose fitting lid (oxygen being necessary for oxidation). It only takes a few days depending on how old you want it to look.

Thanks, I may have to try that!

Got the pike nuts off ebay, I think it was like $9.30 with free shipping for a qty. of 3. The size is 3/8 x 24 tpi. They use these on Harleys & stuff & they are available in many sizes. The 3/8 x 24 will also fit some axles, depending on what type of hub it is.

If you want brass to get that old, greenish patina, you can set it in a shallow bowl with sawdust soaked in ammonia with a loose fitting lid (oxygen being necessary for oxidation). It only takes a few days depending on how old you want it to look.
Great tip! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Got the pike nuts off ebay, I think it was like $9.30 with free shipping for a qty. of 3. The size is 3/8 x 24 tpi. They use these on Harleys & stuff & they are available in many sizes. The 3/8 x 24 will also fit some axles, depending on what type of hub it is.
3/8 by 24tpi is coaster brake muscle bike size from memory...

Luke.

Google - pike nuts - brings up a bunch of options, bike shops or eBay...
I guess it's easier using a laptop than a smartphone...
GOOGLE or whatever SE you use...

Carl.

Can you fit those spikes all the way around that spacer? I like how you skipped every other one but will the interfere with the bottom tube while turning? If they do interfere I probably would put them. It'll probably look incomplete if it's only half way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought it looked pretty cool, and then I wondered if it overwhelms the rest of the bike? Does that detail repeat enough on other parts of the bike or is it all right there at the head tube? Balance might mean adding studs elsewhere or taking the ones on the gear spacer off. (which looks radical on its own) You'll know when you look at the bike as a whole.

Carl.

I don't think I have enough clearance to use them all the way around. I probably will not use the spikes on the spacer.

love the spikes!! head badge,,, oh heck this is sweet all the way around!!

Jats

Still not digging those spiked nuts, I think some ratty looking acorn nuts would look better.

I've been working on the little details. Got some brass acorns, tried discoloring with a propane torch. Worked ok, but not the look I wanted. Next try was using amonia. The fumes turn the brass dark with a bluish green patine kind of like copper ages. The bluish color actually matches the two shades of blue (house paint) that is on the fenders. I have most major issues solved & now am working on the small stuff. I think I will be able to finish this rust bucket on time.

Forgot to mention the ammonia idea came from "Missing Link". Thanks! Another idea stolen!

way coolpatina work on the acorn nuts and license! may have to steel some of these ideas myself!!

Troy

Steal any ideas you want from me. I probably stole them from someone else anyway! :D I do a lot or research & experimenting on metals trying to make them look old & weathered. Most people are the opposite, they are trying to make the old look new. Sometimes I like to restore, other times I like to preserve or even take a few steps backward. Just depends on the bike & what my vision for it is. Thanks for looking & if you ever need any ideas on how to ruin perfectly good parts, I have done that too!

Forgot to mention the ammonia idea came from "Missing Link". Thanks! Another idea stolen!
I'm glad to see the ammonia trick worked for you. I too have spent many years trying to make stuff look old, it's nice to be able to pass some of my knowledge on to a like minded rust-o-phile. And as far as second hand ideas go, let's see how many cog headset spacers show up in BO-9. ;)

Latest posts

Back