Women’s Ross tank bike: plucked out of neighbors trash

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by Jude Ephesus, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

F596CFB7-0790-4609-840C-6882B1FAA1D4.jpeg I’m new to the site but scored this Ross out of my neighbors trash a month or so ago.

I think it’s a 1960? Anyone know for sure?

With fresh tubes n tires and a little wd-40, the bike would work perfectly.

I know it’s not a men’s heavyweight like everyone is soft on, but I’m thinking of using this bike for a RRBO.

Grant, rrtbike and Wildcat like this.
  2. RustyGold

RustyGold

I'd say late 50s, maybe early 60s...I don't believe there is any way to tell from serial number. I don't think the chainring is stock, could be Shelby.

3. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Thanks Rusty!

Yeah: I struck out trying to decode the serial number.

I found a ‘59 online and the bike had either a round reflector or light coming out of each side of the forward facing part of the tank. This bike just has like a round decorative silver button on each side.... I’m guessing early 60’s, but who knows.

Great catch on the chain ring. Would have never noticed.

Thanks for your input and do good!

4. RustyGold

RustyGold

Differences in tank/reflectors can just be trim level as well. I think the support behind the tank (from the twin top tubes to the down tube) will be your best hint as to year, as I don't think it existed in the later bikes.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Does the serial number start with an "R"? I've had a couple mid 60's Ross bikes that used the first 2 numbers as the year, after the "R".

The whole bike looks Ross, I have that same chain wheel as a souvenir from one late 50's Ross. Here's one, a Super DeLuxe (yours is a DeLuxe) no year given.
    [​IMG]

rrtbike and RustyGold like this.
  6. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

87CBB1A5-B712-44FA-BC8A-925AC45488A0.jpeg
    Thanks Wildcat!! I love this board! I actually think I couldn’t FIND the serial number!!!

Took some scrubbing and the SN was the shortest SN I’ve ever seen. Looks like a ‘62!!!

Thanks!!!

Wildcat likes this.
  7. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

'62 is actually rather late use of the early style chain ring. Previously, I'd seen it in circa 1960 ads. It is similar to the old Shelby design, but theirs was skip tooth. -Adam

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat

Looks like that serial number was stamped by hand, and not too well. See the R and second zero, not flush and I also think there are more numbers just lightly stamped to the left and right of the middle numbers. I agree the chain wheel is more of a 50's issue. Maybe they had some leftover?

But 62 seems about right.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Jude Ephesus likes this.