Wood frame bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a fence made out of bike frames. I should take one and cut off the lugs and epoxy and screw wood or bamboo unto the cut off lugs to make a faux wood bike. I would not feel safe with a splinter cycle though. Bamboo with carbon fiber rods epoxied inside the bamboo would be my choice if using old cut off lugs.

This is a great idea!

Thick ratan would be strong enough and certain varieties of bamboo are solid core and strong like carbon fiber because the plant fibers run the entire length of the rod.
Check out martial arts supplier for bambo and ratan bo staffs.

I would imagine that certain kinds of hardwood with long grain would be plenty strong too.

This is a great idea!

Thick ratan would be strong enough and certain varieties of bamboo are solid core and strong like carbon fiber because the plant fibers run the entire length of the rod.

I would imagine that certain kinds of hardwood with long grain would be plenty strong too.
I trust bamboo a lot more than I do wood. In HS a classmate was running a ski course, rammed into a maple wood course marker pole frozen into the course, and it went through his groin and came out his back, taking a kidney on the way. It valued him up in the air. He survived. Now they have composit poles on springs. I don’t trust wood between my legs. Call me gun shy.

I trust bamboo a lot more than I do wood. In HS a classmate was running a ski course, rammed into a maple wood course marker pole frozen into the course, and it went through his groin and came out his back, taking a kidney on the way. It valued him up in the air. He survived. Now they have composit poles on springs. I don’t trust wood between my legs. Call me gun shy.
While shocking, I feel that story actually strengthens the case for a wood framed bicycle.

The take aways, as I see them, are:
  1. Maple pole, very strong.
  2. If you're going very fast and there's a wooden pole in the vicinity of your groin, it's best that it is traveling in the same speed and direction as yourself.

This is a great idea!

I can verify the Bamboo and Rattan via martial arts suppliers. Had a thick wall alluminum custom walking stick (more like crutch in strength) that was causing elbow issues from impact on ground. Got a 3 foot martial art Bo staff and replaced the straight piece. With approx 400 pounds it flexed with full weight but never showed signs of failure in 6 years of daily use. 🦾

Screenshot_20210825-101923_Chrome.jpg

Interesting idea.

Also the frame on that 1st wooden bicycle is huge.
dkdj.jpg

Yes it is, I need a ladder to climb it up :)
I bought it and built it up again.
I stumbled over this post here while reseaching the history of the bike ...

Latest posts

Back