worksman trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my porta trike, but the internally geared up doesn't work proper, not sure if I want to attempt a rebuild.
My first trike was an atlas, I think from the 70's. It was built nearly identical to the more modern trailmate I used for Artemus.

Of the three I like the way the porta trike rides best.

Paid 10 bucks apiece for these Mohawks out of a plant. All perfect shape. Some needed air in the tires. Single speed coaster brakes they were super heavy.

Sold some to a disabled boys home.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Paid 10 bucks apiece for these Mohawks out of a plant. All perfect shape. Some needed air in the tires. Single speed coaster brakes they were super heavy.

Sold some to a disabled boys home.

That's the kind of deal we all need.

The most I ever paid for a trike was 100.00 for this pristine Schwinn. Absolutely the worst riding tryke ever built. I would never have another. Not even a free one. I never have liked anything Schwinn. Its just overrated hype. This thing would prove it.

I like my porta trike, but the internally geared up doesn't work proper, not sure if I want to attempt a rebuild.

Is it just not shifting right, or does it seem like something worse? (Grinding, whatever?)

The adjustment on the Sturmey Archer 3 speed is not difficult if that's all it needs. Put it in third and take out all the slack in the shifter cable, then back it up to allow just the tiniest amount of slack. If your shifter is good, it should then hit all 3 gears. You might also need to make sure that the little chain that pulls out on the spindle in the hub is working freely. I had one that acted strangely - the chain was a little twisted and binding up on the roller.

Is it just not shifting right, or does it seem like something worse? (Grinding, whatever?)

The adjustment on the Sturmey Archer 3 speed is not difficult if that's all it needs. Put it in third and take out all the slack in the shifter cable, then back it up to allow just the tiniest amount of slack. If your shifter is good, it should then hit all 3 gears. You might also need to make sure that the little chain that pulls out on the spindle in the hub is working freely. I had one that acted strangely - the chain was a little twisted and binding up on the roller.

It doesn't grind, it just doesn't want to go in third gear. I'll try to adjust it like you said. I thought it was like the 3 speed on a 70 something schwinn I have, where I have to peddle backwards to make it shift but that didn't work.

If the cable is too tight, it won't go into third, which occurs when the cable is slack. If the cable is TOO slack, you won't be able to get it back down to first, which is with the cable tight to it's limit.

Also, with the Sturmey Archer, it will also refuse to shift sometimes if you peddle at all. Some will let you shift at a light pedal pressure, some won't shift unless you stop pedaling completely. Even if it's only a split second, when you shift, this might solve the problem.

Some newer Worksman's trikes might have a Shimano hub which is more tolerant of pedaling when shifting, but any older one is probably S/A.

Latest posts

Back