Worm Drink

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you need to trim some spoke ends or are you going tubeless? Beefy spokes look good.

Good eye, yes there are some spokes that need to be trimmed down. I tried to take care of it with a Dremel but it was just taking too long. I'll just take it to work and use some air powered tools on it.

So about a year ago I got a cheapo auto body repair kit from Oreilly's. I had not opened it until this build, it's what I used to pop the dents out of the rear fender.

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Being the frugal ratter that I am, I like to reuse a lot of parts or buy parts that are a little jacked up. Saves some $$.
I am going to reuse the fender braces that came on the bike. All were bent, but easily straightened by hand.

Except for this kink:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Grab an anvil that I think will fit:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Yup:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Few well placed taps with the hamer and not perfect, but mo' betta:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

I found a set at a thrift shop for 3 bucks, use em all the time on fenders and chain guards, great tools! And great bike, dude :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another great tool to look for is a cobbler's or shoemaker's anvil. These are great for a lot of uses.
IMG_1116.jpg

Thanks for following along everybody.

mockup mockup mockup...

Carl.
Not just yet. I have been doing some test fitting, but still have aways to go before mock up.

Another great tool to look for is a cobbler's or shoemaker's anvil. These are great for a lot of uses.
IMG_1116.jpg
Yeah, I gots to find me one of those.

Since I don't have a proper tall cycle truck stem I'm going to use these wide, low rise schwinn apes. They actually look pretty good with a big basket on the front.

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Was going to use this seat:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

But it was a little too ratty for this build. I started to pull it apart for recovering and could feel the top pan crumble a bit so I decided to put it back together and save it for the right bike. I didn't have another complete saddle that wasn't already designated for a future built so I had to rat one together.
Take one nice girls seat guts and put them on a men's seat with bad guts.

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Now I have a men's seat with good pans and guts!

Ok, so I took a quick little trip to derpsville last night

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

And realized that the men's seat that I picked is a single pan...but that's ok. I'm formulating a new plan now.

Last edited:
Be easy on him Mom! Maybe middle school, but not high school. I'm the same way.

He takes his time, you know that guys. Patience is virtue. By the time he's done with his kids bike she'll be in highschool.
My ideas for the seat didn't pan out. I got frustrated and had to step away for awhile. But now I'm back in the saddle again...
Ok, enough bad puns.
I made this frame plate at work tonight:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

I'll test fit it when I get home. If it will ever stop raining for long enough, I might get some paint on this thing!

Finally got back to tackling the seat...not sure of it's durability but I'll give it a try until I can do up a more permanent solution. This is what I did for the single pan:

by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Pan, felt, bandana and 3M headliner glue.

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

by LowpowerD, on Flickr

mockup mockup mockup...

Carl.
Ok, ok, ok...I'm ready now.

by LowpowerD, on Flickr
After recovering the saddle tonight I'm feeling much better about this build. Reprofiled the rear of the chain guard to fit around the small chainring and into the frame. Got a "correct" stem (thanks schwinnspastic), but I think I'm still going to rock the apes. And going to use some slim coke bottle grips from a schwinn excesizer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back