Would a cruiser by any other name ride so sweet? OP Roller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Pacific. I grew up with it and Birdwell Beach Britches the surf wear of choice for us local at "the Wedge" every day, every season. It was sad to see Birdwell fade away and OP get sucked dry by the corporate beast when it was bought out and sold nationally. They truly don't make em like that no mo. But that is beach wear.

OP makes beach cruisers? I had no clue till I came across this bike in a CL ad. The pic showed only the dark silhouette for this $30 bike and from that view, I immediately related the shape with the Electra Coaster/Lux that is my favorite bike. I was working on one when this one came up. SO i arranged the meet and brought home this thing.

Attempts to identify this bike as a Electra kept me busy for a day or two. I know a bit more about the Brand now than what I had already learned before. Still... no info was coming till finally I found a similar bike, and it was of course, on this site. Dubbed Twenty2, I soon came to find that my Electra was actually a Roller, made by OP.

Immediate thoughts of 32nd Street and body surfing came crashing on the shoreline of my hairline. I knew the history of OP enough to feel a little sad at this development but reasoned.. I can do more with no shame with this brand so I did apply some of the paint techniques Ive been practicing on this frame, this time.

I really liked the tone of the bike twenty2 and followed suit for my build. I blended black and grey after first applying a silver undercoat over white primer. In the lighter grey areas I used some pattern templetes to better darken the overall tone of the paint. This will be the first bike I have done that will keep these stylish cues. They came out good enough to not want to paint over them.

It is not nearly as good lookling in the end as I wanted it to be, but with the addition of new tires, chain, grips and paint all around, the thing rides and looks almost new... I gotta do better next build. I will do better next build.
20151003_112249-1-1024x576.jpg
20150916_192701-1024x768.jpg
20151001_161722-1024x576.jpg
20151002_123504-1024x576.jpg
20151003_111623-1024x576.jpg

The do have nice lines, and very light. My OP cruiser rode nice till the motor I had on it (came with it) broke the coaster arm and the ate up the dropouts.

Carefully on the aluminum dropouts and should be good.

With baby apes...

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back