• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Cheap old school 26in MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am looking for an old school (rim brake) 26in MTB either complete or frame/fork/wheels in 21 or 22in frame size. Anyone got one laying around that they would part with for cheap?
I am in Huntsville Alabama so I could pick up something that is within an hour or two or willing to work out shipping.

Last edited:
Try Craigslist and pawn shops. That's where I've gotten all my bikes. A couple of fairly good deals on some nice 80's mountain bikes with 7x rims.
A little more legwork, but that's what it takes sometimes.

I actually have a Schwinn Sierra frame and fork that size. And if you were local I would've responded earlier. But it wouldn't be so cheap if I had to box it up and ship it to Alabama.

Yeah. I have been watching just not finding much in my size and they seem to want stupid money for them. Like $100+ for Trek 800 series, etc.

I am tempted to find a decent frame on eBay and a parts bike in whatever size locally and combine.

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sc...066948?hash=item2882ea0644:g:bSkAAOSwlQBc-j51

Tempted to pull the trigger on this frame. The top tube is about the right length for a drop bar gravel bike build...
What kind of tire/wheel setup would you have on a gravel bike?

Not a lot of clearance with a 700x37 on my Schwinn Sierra
20190930_191121.jpg
Had to let the air out of the tire to get it in the horizontal drop-outs.

No problem there then.

I guess I thought the bikes I've seen that were called "gravel bikes" all had 700c wheels.
I am using gravel bike very loosely. It will basically be a drop bar mountain bike. I want something cheaper and faster rolling then my Minion wearing 150mm travel hardtail for use on gravel, light singletrack and city use.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

There are a ton of ways to roll on gravel. The category"gravel bike" was invented by the mountain bike industry to sell a new bike to roadies, and mountain bikers! Double whammy! You should read the discussions on the forums about what constitutes a gravel bike, it gets pretty heated.

There are a ton of ways to roll on gravel. The category"gravel bike" was invented by the mountain bike industry to sell a new bike to roadies, and mountain bikers! Double whammy! You should read the discussions on the forums about what constitutes a gravel bike, it gets pretty heated.
I bought the Rock Hawks 26x2.4 with this moon-looking surface of crushed-rock/concrete hardpack with a thin, loose, silt top layer in mind.
20191001_075924.jpg

Lots of roads and trails like this around here.

I don't know if this is what's referred to as gravel, but it's pretty slick and I don't want to wipe out on it.
There's the Rock Razors also, which are probably a faster rolling tire with small knobbies in the middle and big lugs on the edge.

To me, a bike that rolls on gravel is a gravel bike. The online debate isn't about the type of gravel, although there are multiple threads regarding the quality of the gravel. One of the most contentious ones is wether it is acceptable to convert retro mtbs to gravel bikes in the first place. "There's more to a gravel bike than just slapping drop bars on any old frame" etc etc. That's why I'm not converting my Hardrock to a gravel bike, it's an all road assault vehicle.;)

Lol following already. You might want to research the frame a bit, according to the cabe, there's some collectability in those early Schwinn mtbs. I doubt there's enough value to deter you, but if you got it cheap enough, there could be some value on the flip side.

I guess I'll have to put some wider 26's back on this
20190915_095607.jpg

With some upside down bars like these...or I got some similar but wider aluminum bars with a little less drop...
20191001_085345.jpg
and call it a gravel bike!
Win-win

Latest posts

Back