BO15 XLR8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a little progress on the back of the bike. It's been a bit slow going, but it's getting there. I ended up putting the rear wheel a bit farther back which stretches out the bike a bit. Hopefully this will help the leg room without the seat ending up behind the axle.
YYHcvet.jpg

UPLUc1F.jpg

TELU7Mq.jpg

Al2L6NA.jpg

This transmorgrafication is so wicked!

I like the dropout mods.

Is that a suspension fork?

Yes, it's a suspension fork from a 20" bike, but not a very good one. It has about an inch of travel and seems to take a fair amount of pressure to compress, so I imagine it was basically useless on a kids bike. I can't get the tire to hit the crown, but it might loosen up with fresh grease so I'll figure out a stop just to be safe.

Wow! I am really liking this build- so cool to see the shape emerge from the existing shapes. curious as to how this winds up. A fave of mine so far, and my first actual comment

Time to bring this build out of quarantine. Any updates?

Thanks for the motivation. Between being busy and the unpleasant temperatures I haven't been making any progress. So I went out and worked on it for an hour tonight and got the shock brackets sorted out. I got lazy and cut the ends off some mower deck hanger brackets which already had the right size holes in them. I've got 10ft of chain ordered and if I'm lucky it'll get here in time.

QzSczUD.jpg

What are those shocks in the rear from? And I'm assuming that is a pivot coming off your 'wishbone style' chain stay? Looks really beefy, and cool!

Thanks for the motivation. Between being busy and the unpleasant temperatures I haven't been making any progress. So I went out and worked on it for an hour tonight and got the shock brackets sorted out. I got lazy and cut the ends off some mower deck hanger brackets which already had the right size holes in them. I've got 10ft of chain ordered and if I'm lucky it'll get here in time.

QzSczUD.jpg
Man, I keep cooking myself every other day. I am used to working outside this of year but I try to keep it to start early and finish by three. I get distracted pretty easy because I am not doing any heavy lifting and forget and stay ours till dark

What are those shocks in the rear from? And I'm assuming that is a pivot coming off your 'wishbone style' chain stay? Looks really beefy, and cool!

The shocks are from a Sachs moped, the pivot is at the connection of the stays and has a spacer tube that sits inside two nylon bushings (which I lifted from the same moped).

I got my chain in the mail and got the top tube welded in. I kinda rushed it so I didn't get any in-progress photos. 10ft of kmc chain should be plenty.
TAdIjWj.jpg

Here is the method I use to "cheat" when i'm fabricating stuff from square tube or angle iron. I cut a wood scrap on a miter saw to figure out what angle I need.
dePM6NJ.jpg

The top tube is the rocker from an outdoor rocking chair. It had a nice curve to it already.
MSwUlmn.jpg

Wow, I didn't see that 'top tube' coming. Or is it the top edge of a 'frame' for a surprise tank panel that nobody saw coming either? :wink1:

I'm sure every one of us saw all of this coming when he dragged the rusting hulk of exercise equipment out of the woods! :rolleyes: Lol everything here is way outta the ordinary!

Latest posts

Back