Y

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is what I have decided on as a Build.

I will take a picture of my wifes bike tomorrow ( same model ) and post it as the before picture.

Here is what I have mocked up tonight and I hope you like it.

Stiletto Chopper Forks with a 20" BMX Wheel mounted to a Y-Frame Mountain bike with the frame flipped upside down.

DCP03001.JPG

DCP03002.JPG

DCP03003.JPG

I still have some work to figure out on how to mount the old swingarm (blue one) to act as a seat base.

DCP03004.JPG

This show the close up of the bottom bracket of a ten speed slid on a seat post and mouted into the original seat location on the MTB.

DCP03005.JPG

I will post more soon.

I hope this is ratty enough

Doug

mastershake916 said:
Sadly there are no frame modifications allowed.

So would this still be valid if I flipped the Blue rear end over in the original position and mounted the seat on it, and then attached the grey rear swing arm some how?

Doug

I think this one is an iffy...there was a frame flip in the last build off but it was not a suspention frame and the frame was not modified 'cept for add on parts that was OK ..
Personally I think that if the rear suspention is in its original position it would be OK but with those drop outs ???? looks a little scarry for that but
I think something could be made to keep the wheel on..
any body else want to add their 2c.

Schwinnspastic said:
I think this one is an iffy...there was a frame flip in the last build off but it was not a suspention frame and the frame was not modified 'cept for add on parts that was OK ..
Personally I think that if the rear suspention is in its original position it would be OK but with those drop outs ???? looks a little scarry for that but
I think something could be made to keep the wheel on..
any body else want to add their 2c.

The Blue swing arm will be for the seat and the grey one will have the wheel.

The cross bar (where the blue swing arm is attached will be perfectly level.

I do own a Mig welder but I will not be using it on the bike at all.

I like the stance of the bike with the frame inverted. I don't mind if the bike is not allowed, but I am building it with the thoughts of the rules, and I will abide by any decisions made by the forum.

Thanks
Doug Morency

Doug

Right on Doug ...I have one that's waiting for the transformation they make a cool chopper ... my question for everybody "is the rear swing arm
and shock part of the original frame structure or just bolt on parts ?"
If its part of the frame then #3 applies ...if its just bolt on parts then its OK.
see #8 parts can be added by welding them on.

Doug its your bike so build it the way you choose I think it will be a way cool bike with that rake and fork length.

Mark

In my opinion, since we can remove or add stuff on the frame, why would he not be able to flip that rear triangle? As long as there is no welding, I see no problems here. The idea is to have a level playing field and anybody can do what RC is doing right now without any special tool. My 2 cents anyways, peace.:D What say you Steve?

Man...this is a tough one.

I'm not sure I can even tell what the original bike looked like, ha ha.

Is there any way possible to give us a photo of the factory set up?

Rat Rod said:
Man...this is a tough one.

I'm not sure I can even tell what the original bike looked like, ha ha.

Is there any way possible to give us a photo of the factory set up?

here is the basic layout

optima2.jpg

Doug

Lets let him builld i wanna see what he can dooo Come on.. hes not welding!!

Realistically, he is taking a factory fram and making it a custom...doesnt get any more ratty than that.

Especially considering that its going together without welding...I can't see how you wouldnt count it.

I may have to run a poll on this one.

There are several folks who are not altering frames because of rule number three and I'd hate to see folks get bent out of shape thinking that you were allowed to change too much of the original bike structure.

One part of me thinks you've crossed the line while another part has seen what you normally build and it seems to make perfect sense for you to build a rat like this.

Rat Rod said:
I may have to run a poll on this one.

There are several folks who are not altering frames because of rule number three and I'd hate to see folks get bent out of shape thinking that you were allowed to change too much of the original bike structure.

One part of me thinks you've crossed the line while another part has seen what you normally build and it seems to make perfect sense for you to build a rat like this.

If you would like, I don't mind if it is pulled from the build off, as it is technically not a diamond frame :)

maybe have a class for Y-frame Rat Rods for the fun of it, I would be happy with that.

Doug

The actual frame shape is not an issue, there's no rule that says you have to use a particular frame.

It's mainly the fact that your creation is using a good portion of two seperate bike frames to become one.

Let me see what everyone thinks. A little controversy is a good thing. :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:

But, there is no frame mod here, he's flipping a bolt-on part. No different to me than flipping a set of handlebars...

Didn't someone attempt a flipped mountain bike last time also?
just my $.02

Rat Rod said:
The actual frame shape is not an issue, there's no rule that says you have to use a particular frame.

It's mainly the fact that your creation is using a good portion of two seperate bike frames to become one.

Let me see what everyone thinks. A little controversy is a good thing. :mrgreen:

Sounds good to me, I just love tinkering and having fun, and I hope that I have given someone else some ideas on what the can do with a Y-Frame and that they will have fun experimenting as well :)

I am planning on having a mid drive as well so that the bike is geared for in excess of 70mph at 100 rpm :)

Doug

Ok my opinion is it is a bolt on item whether it be a fork or rear suspension it is still a bolt on part. If you could unbolt the rear triangle on a vintage rigid frame then that would be allowed as well. Not any different than using different forks from another bike the way I see it. Just my 2 cents I say you let him in and have fun!! Troy

Latest posts

Back