YAMAHA MOTO-BIKE J60 & KAWASAKI BX200 vs TOXIC MTX plus MONO SHOCK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here Is My Customized 1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike J60 Model C.

RP1.jpg

It has the look & feel of a "Rat-Rod".
The front shocks, sissy bar & rear fender are the only original parts left. The bike was all original and in excellent condition when the build began. The Araya wheels, seat, handlebars & shocks were sold on eBay.
My goal was to recreate the Moto-Bike that I had as a child.
I had painted it flat black as soon as I received it for Christmas in 1974 because I did not like the yellow paint.
My desire was a long distance ramp jump bike.
I broke the frame in January jumping off a 50 foot cliff with an incline at the bottom so the Dealership replaced it with a 1975 frame. Now I had a banana seat mount. This was much better for jumping! I usually missed the small 1974 seat upon landing and ended up on the rear U bar.
Many may disagree, but I think 1975 B was the best year.
The crank pins were troublesome, but they had a much better feel than the C's one-piece crank.
I applied Loctite "Super Bonder" to the pins before hammering them in and they stayed put.
The Model B's front shocks were lighter and less cumbersome than the C's bulky shocks.
A muscle bike rear slick & a Carlisle Aggressor SX front tire was the best set up.
I was a lazy youth and didn’t do very well at BMX; however I excelled at long distance jumping.
During adolescence I had the pleasure of owning all three Models. but this was my favorite bike.

I stripped & Rat-Rodded my Model B in 1976 by swapping all of the parts from my Kawasaki BX200 to my Yamaha.
The non-shock front fork was much lighter and reduced nose diving.
The Kawasaki's rear shocks were taller & stiffer and landed much better.
The Yamaha Moto-Bike was by far the better jump bike.
But once combined, "That Yamasaki sailed like a paper airplane."

This bike has 10" rise NOS BMX handlebars from Spain with Hunt Wilde SX grips.
The front fender is from a Kawasaki KX 65. I cut 3" from the middle, and then reassembled.
The stitched orange striped seat is from Germany. I replaced the rear reflector mount with a StingRay hanger mount. Both tiny front & rear reflectors are from a 'Bratz Bike'.
It has Skyway Tuff Wheels II with NOS reflectors and Schwinn orange line 40 psi knobby tires, and a 175mm 3/8 cromoly front axle. The original front fork nuts & lock washers were replaced with zinc plated high tensile reduced hexagonal 13mm nuts & small O.D. stainless steel washers.
It has a Dynatron sealed bottom bracket with a 180mm NOS Cro-Mo GT racing crank.
The sprocket & cog are aftermarket 40 x 20 T and the chain is nickel plated with a cromoly 12" seat post.
I also installed MadAss 2" handlebar risers and a pair of NOS 12-1/2 inch SHOWA rear shocks.
The frame was then stripped to the metal and painted textured 'dark pewter'.
All the bearings were repacked and 5oz. of 20wt silicone shock oil were added to each shock for a nice firm ride. Then, the orange stripes & decals were applied.
The bike was built adult friendly and "I ride it daily!"

I am open to any & all comments and or feedback, but "Yamaha Guys, Please Be Kind."
So, upon your approval & much trial and error, I present to you, "Rat-Poison"…a modified 1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike. "Rat-Rod" ?

RP2.jpg

RP3.jpg

RP5.jpg

RP4.jpg

RP6.jpg

RP7.jpg

RP9.jpg

RP8.jpg

RP12.jpg

RP10.jpg

RP14.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Modified Yamaha Moto-Bike

Sweet work on your moto!
Welcome to RRB!

I'd like to get one of those someday. I remember seeing them when they came out. I was about 16-17 at the time. I'm not really a BMX guy, but I am a Vintage Yamaha guy.

heyslugger said:
I just backed my chair out, stood up and clapped! So much awesome going on here its hard to process.

Thank You So Very Much! Six months of toil & trouble finally paid off..

Taking a bicycle off a 50 foot cliff and landing on the sissy bar? Hope you can still have babies... :lol:

Cool bike! I really like the MX'ers :D

Awesomeness! worth seeing the picture again :lol:
RP2.jpg

Welcome to the site

Re: Modified Yamaha Moto-Bike *New Pics* 5/23/2013

Absolutely love what you did with it very nice , Makes me want one even more ,
I'v been searching for one for some time now , but then again i'm one of those guys
that will wait forever for the right deal . Again very nice bike !

Re: Modified Yamaha Moto-Bike *New Pics* 5/23/2013

Very nice work, I think it rates a 12 to a 15 on the greatness scale

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
Absolutely love what you did with it very nice , Makes me want one even more ,
I'v been searching for one for some time now , but then again i'm one of those guys
that will wait forever for the right deal . Again very nice bike !

One just popped up here on C/L for $275. 1975 it says

"I'm Seeing Green?"

Latest posts

Back