You guys rocked out on my last question...One more?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I have an AMC cruiser frame of unknown vintage.
Chainguard is chrome and has "MarkVII" on it. (Not shown in pics)

Here's a pic of the dropout with serial numbers

Anyone have a source for serial number decoding?

With those dropouts, it is definitely built by Murray.

+2
Definitely a Murray,I'll check on serial number. Should atleast narrow down the year.
Murray build bikes for AMC,I've been told it was the car manufacturer. You know,pacer,gremlin,javelin,amx,eagle, so on and so fourth. Bikes were said to be a promotional item, buy a gremlin get a bike.

I don't know if that's really how the AMC bikes came to be,but it is a cool story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all very much for your time! I've been a bicycle lover since the early 60's but most of the vintage stuff I recently acquired is before my time. I have several skiptooth and totally unknown frames as well.
Seems I have found a GREAT resource for helpful rat lovers! I wish I could afford to restore a few, but rat rusty is cool too! And I'd rather ride than admire.

Any help narrowing the year on this AMC MarkVII will be greatly appreciated!

Ok
The x in the serial shows it is 1965-1969, somewhere there about. It is suspected that the x is a special digit to represent it having been built by Murray for another company. ie: sears,western auto,otasco. This lends credence to the promo item when buying a car.
I'm still learning about these Murray bikes I love so much,so I don't know how accurate this is; but I'm pretty sure of the 65-69 time frame.
Cool bike though,could build it anyway you want or leave it as is.

Thank you all very much for your time! I've been a bicycle lover since the early 60's but most of the vintage stuff I recently acquired is before my time. I have several skiptooth and totally unknown frames as well.
Seems I have found a GREAT resource for helpful rat lovers! I wish I could afford to restore a few, but rat rusty is cool too! And I'd rather ride than admire.
Now I have a favor to ask.
Can you take a couple good pics of the fork stencils? I have an AMC VIII I'm wanting to repaint. I'd appreciate it.

No problem Falstaff!
Here are pics of both my AMC's

And here is a pic of what's left of the seatpost decal from the black MarkVII

Black bike also has chrome section on lower fork leg. Girls does not. Might tie in to special edition or promo...but honestly, I've never heard of any bicycles in connection with American Motors. Would be super cool if true!

Very cool.
I like the AMC story,so I'm gonna blend it into my repaint. Thanks for the pics.

I was surprised to find so little online considering the "MarkVII". Nothing specific comes up at all, and only vague mention of AMC. All you get is AMF/Roadmaster hits.

Latest posts

Back