You know you have a problem with bicycles when...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my eye on I think a similar set of ebay/amazon panniers and wondered how good they were.

Yea, I wouldn't really reccomend them for anything other than looks....I'm hoping to find a set of used ones somewhere, maybe other leather ones, or even a set of theold school paper boy panniers.

Funny enough, was just browsing the vintage CCM forum, learned that some Higgins bikes were made by CCM.

Hm, I wonder if mine was then...I've seen my frame dressed up as a CCM Galaxie.

This "tea thing" has been laying in my "stuff that might end up on one of my bikes -pile"
... For some years now
7b482fa4ee2f4a06f3f866e3a789b8bc.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

Oh boy, I've got a whole stash of random parts and pieces specifically for this kind of thing! You know how they say that when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail? Well, when I'm designing or building custom bikes, everything starts to look like a piece to a bicycle.

- Chain link fence post toppers to repurpose as headlight and taillight buckets.
- Old car brightwork for bike tank trim (chrome/stainless trim strips, car horn buttons, badges and emblems, etc.)
- G-scale model train tracks for art deco trim
- 1950s/1960s bullet taillight lenses from classic cars, for custom bicycle taillights
- An old rake head to turn into a phony set of fuel lines/spark plug wires for that dummy engine idea I had (and still plan to use) for my 1950 Hawthorne, Dumpster Diamond.
- Wood scraps (acquired all for free from FB Marketplace/Craigslist) for custom tanks and other custom wood pieces. I got a whole pallet full of that...
- LED light strips designed for... I guess cars... but I would love to use them to make my own pedal-powered TRON light cycle!
- Some vintage glass plates that I thought could make some snazzy headlight lenses
- A bunch of other bits and pieces I can't remember right now.

Remind me to shoot some pictures of this stuff later! I think you guys would get a kick and more than a few ideas out of my collection of non-bicycle bicycle parts!

As sort-of promised, here are some pictures of most of my collection of non-bicycle bicycle parts. Hopefully, seeing some of what I've got might give you folks some ideas for your bike projects!
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts1.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts2.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts3.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts4.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts5.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts6.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts7.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts8.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts9.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts10.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts11.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts12.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts13.jpg

By the way, would anyone happen to know what these teardrop shapes are? I pulled them off a '48-'54 Chevy truck hood at a salvage yard, but I doubt they're factory.
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts14.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts15.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts16.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts17.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts18.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts19.jpg

I remembered these 3 little glass plates I got for free at a garage "sale" earlier this year, and I'm thinking about using the green one as a cool psychedelic headlight lens for my MBBO trike Poison Apple.
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts20.jpg
BftD_non-bicycle_bicycle_parts21.jpg

Now to tickle your imagination; how would YOU use these pieces on a bicycle build? I'd be happy to share my plans for them if you'd like, but I want to know what you'd do with them too.

Latest posts

Back