You'd think after all these years...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was obsessed with bikes at a early age, at 5 (1960) I got my first "2 wheeler" and I had the training wheels off the first day.
In 1965, a bike rocked my 10 year old world! The Schwinn stingray. I wanted on so bad that I asked everyday for one for Christmas, I did every day! I described it to a tee, Lime green, rear slick, tall sissy bar, metal flake seat. Not a gear shift one although I don't think those came out until later.
I cannot tell you how bad I lusted for a Stingray, please believe me when I say it took up about all my waking thoughts.

Christmas morning, 1965, my room is just off the living room, at 4 am I awake, I go to the living room and there under the tree is a bike...strange it looks a little big under the wrapping paper but it's for sure a bike...cannot risk getting caught, scared cow.
7:00am, I come out to the tree again, it is now an acceptable time to wake up the folks, coffee, Mom wants to make breakfast first, OH COME ON YOUR KILLING ME!

We go into the living room, my blood runs cold. It's too darn big for a stingray, oh no. It's a Sears 3 speed, RED! Red? I hate RED!!! I know they knew what I wanted, a SEARS 3 speed with upright handle bars, skinny tires and a rack!?!
I turned to my Dad and I swore for the first time in my life. "..." "What did you say?" my dad asked, I screamed, "..." You have ruined my life!!
Needless to say that was always referred to the year that "I ruined Christmas"

Skip to 45 year later and dang it! I'm still bitter, if my Old Man had just said that they could not afford one, I would have dealt with that but come on! A stinking Huffy/Sears RED 3 speed! I was crushed.
I now know that the folks were pretty bad alcoholics, they had plenty of money for booze and cigarettes but when it came to us kids...

Sorry to drag you through that but I think that you guys can understand that better than anyone else.

Okay to the present day, My very Loving Wife, bought me a OCC Stingray a few years ago to "make up for it" 34 years of marriage and I still love that woman!! I have been to counseling, I made peace with my Father before he passed and I now have Christ in my life. It's all good.

So let's build a rat bike!
Steve Andrews

Any more salt for my wound?
Thanks, That's what I'm talking about!!
New that bike was about what the shipping is now...
Look at the detail pictures...those details thrilled me back then, wait...they still thrill me!

Welcome dude..cool story none the less..my first came from the San Jose fleamarket..then for my birthday i got a brand new....Western Flyer Stingray wannabe..but..loved it none the less..for about a week until my older brother pre-dated Pick-n-pull and helped himself to my new SHINY parts off my bike...Thanks for bringing those memories back though...

At least you still got some type of bike that Christmas.

I remember I was asking for one of those kick pedal scooters over and over for Christmas. Come Christmas time there was a big box under the tree. It was fairly flat and large enough to hold my beloved scooter from my grandmother. It took FOREVER for Christmas day to arrive but it finally did. Of course that was to be the first present of the day to open. I opened it up to find a DESK to do my homework on. Not only did I not get my scooter, but I got something for doing school work. Talk about being screwed over.

M.Martian said:
I opened it up to find a DESK to do my homework on.

I'm sorry 'bout your miserable Christmas experience, but when I got to read that part I just couldn't help laughing out loud! :lol:

Latest posts

Back