Yup, this is the place.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just picked up my first 'old & crusty' the other day (a 1961 Schwinn American) and am excited to start working on it. It's going to be a long & slow process for me, but I'm hoping to be riding it before the snow falls. I don't plan on doing a full restoration at all, I just want to make it nice and shiny and most importantly mine. After seeing the unique bikes around here, I figure this is definitely the place to come for advice. Ok, I'm gonna go dig around now. Thanks!

driveside.jpg

Welcome my cheese loving friend. I too am new and have purchased Betsy Rust. I have some brillo pads and a adult beverages. Lets prepare are selves for a journey into the past. When Fonzi said AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Welcome.

I'd cut the rear fender short. Then if it's like a lot of my old bikes, I would clean the frame and wax it 3 times to bring out the original color.

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. Plans are not definite yet, but I'm probably going to lose the fenders & chainguard, but then I want to clean off all rust and swap out a few parts to make it uniquely mine. I'll share any progress of course. Thanks!

Almost forgot, post up the serial number, I can tell you the manufacture date if someone else doesn't beat me to it. It's on the left rear dropout, by the rear axle.

Already found it. Frame was built in November of '61.
Thanks though!

Latest posts

Back