Zimmy Clone (pic heavy)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a copy of 'The Bicycle' by Gilbert King and in it found my dream bike, an 1890's 'Zimmy' racer. I particularly love the paint scheme and the clean lines of the bike.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=DofSxFG ... t&resnum=1

About Arthur A Zimmerman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Augustus_Zimmerman

img016.jpg

img017.jpg

So, without getting a mortgage to buy an original, I figured I should go about creating my own. The donor bike is a fixie I built a few years ago from an unnamed track frame I got off eBay. The frame is Reynolds 631 Chromoly steel, very stiff and light :

PICT4193.jpg

First, the old paint has to go, love the look of the paint coming off (mental note, pick a less windy day to do this next time, and don't wear shorts)

P1010619.jpg

Next attack the frame with some sandpaper to give it some 'grit' for the paint.

P1010622.jpg

Had an idea while I was sanding and spent an hour polishing part of the downtube to get it really shiny. Then I cut out a star from aluminium ducting tape and stuck it on prior to painting:

P1010633.jpg

Three coats of undercoat, three coats of krylon satin black later, carefully peeled off the mask (forgot to photo it before adding gold pinstripe):

P1010734.jpg

Now for the pinstriping. I can't claim to be any good at painting straight lines so I used pinstripe masking tape (http://www.finessepinstriping.com/striper_order.asp)

P1010817.jpg

P1010820.jpg

Next for a cool chainguard. I bought this off a guy in Belgium, plain aluminium with a St Christopher's embossed on the front. First I painted the top edge black and added gold pinstripes to match the frame and then traced the insert onto card and then cut out the design out of real oak veneer. Glued it to the chainguard with rubber cement and gave it a couple coats of clearcoat.

P1010768.jpg

P1010770.jpg

Finished up the gold pinstriping and gave it 4 coats of clearcoat. Next the forks. I was going to go with a chromoly fork but I like the bump-absorbing feel of carbon fiber, specially when using 120 psi tires. Stripped the clear-coat off the forks, being very careful not to go down to the fibers themselves, that would be bad. Undercoat, satin black & clearcoat.

P1010748.jpg

A Century Cycles Co. headbadge from eBay. Removed the last bits of original paint and gave it a quick polish to bring out the highlites

P1000233.jpg

Now to put it together. The handle bars are a set of cut-down Nitto zero-drop track bars that were wrapped with two layers of hemp twine and then shellacked to waterproof them. Wheels are Formla track flip-flop hubs on Alex rims with a 16T cog. Cranks are Truvative Elita with a 48t track ring and Crank Brothers eggbeater pedals.

P1020055.jpg

P1020060.jpg

P1020058.jpg

P1020059.jpg

P1020061.jpg

(Century Cycles Co headbadge)
P1020064.jpg

Hemp twine wrapped bars and leather tool bag
P1020063.jpg

P1020062.jpg

Man...such a cool project...that thing is awesome.

Love the vintage look combined with the new technology.

Very inspiring!

Very cool. Looks as timeless as the original. Gonna post it up on fixedgeargallery?

That is WAY cool. Making a modern bike and components look like that...

Thanks for all of the great comments, it means a lot to me coming from the guys on this site!

I wanted a light and reliable bike to get around town but wanted the classic look of an old racer and I think it worked :)

Thanks for all of the great tire links too, very much appreciated! Boardtrack fan - thanks for the Vittoria Zaffiro link, they will be the perfect size as I am limited to a 28c maximum as the rear track dropouts are very narrow where the chainstays meet the BB.

cman - I've been on RatRodBikes so much lately I forgot all about fixedgeargallery, I will definitely be posting the Zimmy Clone there too, thanks for reminding me.

Cheers, Simon

Latest posts

Back