Stepping back in time

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after a very long time I finally got started reassembling the bike I got when I was 10yo. I sandblasted the frame about 15years ago and bought a new saddle. Built a wheel and fitted some tyres about 6-7 years ago, then finally painted it a few months ago. I rescued it from one of dad’s shed cleanups and it’s moved house with me twice since then.

On my tenth birthday I was given a card with a clue in it. It led to a box with another clue.. and so on until I had a bunch of boxes that contained the parts for my new ride. Dad helped me build it and I rode it for years - everywhere. Finally I upgraded/outgrew and it got left behind to rust in the shed.

Now tonight I was inspired to finish it off and display it at work tomorrow where I’ll be safety checking students bikes at a school in doing some casual work at.

Not to be, I’d forgotten that in replacing the forks I didn’t check the (threaded) steerer length and it’s too long. The replacement forks were because the originals had been bent.

Anyway, here’s some parts original 1980s frame, sissy bar, bars, stem, cranks, BB, pedals. I’m not sure what happened to the original saddle, but it’s long gone and the wheels were a bit too rusty.
A2F73C74-DB81-44E4-809F-8AF29C182A71.jpeg
12CBC524-B267-42FE-8F70-7C2B99F4B4D9.jpeg
Originally the frame was metallic pink but back then in my birthday wish list was a bike ‘any colour but pink’. Dad took me to be hardware and got me to choose a green spray can ‘for a guy at work’ and painted it green before my birthday. I guess he thought he’d get out of reassembling it alone! It’s now a deeper and metallic green, but it has to be green.

Thanks for looking. Will need to update when I actually progress some more.

Wonderful story:happy: Cool bike:cool2: Chrome must've been in bad shape eh. Love green bikes.
Yes. Chrome was all fairly well pitted. We lived beside saltwater and everything got rusty. I decided to just spray in silver, matches the alloy rims a bit better - and cheaper.

Hopefully I can find someone local with a thread tap for the forks. Otherwise I might have to cut a bit out and re-weld

I found the local bike shop was able to tap some more thread onto the forks. It took a couple of shops. Seems that not many bikes need threaded fork re-tapping nowadays. Also seems the forks are possibly a 24” size which I didn’t notice until I put a wheel in it.

Dug out some bits and pieces and finished it off. Also got some new grips as a treat. Not sure wether I should be putting mudguards on, I have some in the garage, but never had them on as a kid, and the forks might make it a bit tricky.

It’s been over 30years since I last rode it. Rides nice!

FC3B9067-7F01-4CDE-9BB7-73109EE2C6A9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back