Kona Fire Mountain, Need advice on colors and what year this bike is.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought A used Kona Fire Mountain and need advice on some color options.

Color recommendations on these items
  1. Rim, spoke, spoke nipple colors
  2. Handlebar stem color
  3. Pedal color
  4. Seat color
  5. Shock boot cover - if i'm able
Im also trying to figure what year this bike was built. I contacted Joe at Kona he said he's looking into it. The number on the bottom of the frame looks like it reads #58050354. Do y'all know of a legend I can use to read it or a website (besides Kona) that may have the info?
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
IMG_8983.jpeg
IMG_8984.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol I've been waiting for that era of Kona to pop up in my area for a while. My phone is loaded with spec sheets, sizing charts, etc...

Color is highly personal, but I would think about pulling a color from your graphics for the pieces you want to upgrade. I think red could look good, starting with pedals and grips. Then the stem. I despise those adjustable jobbies, they have no place on a mountain bike. Be careful though once you start replacing the metal parts: anodizing can be addictive! After the rims and spokes, there's brake levers, the crank and arms, brakes themselves, headset...
04b0056a0262691dd6f2db8eb0c0752b.jpg

As for the shock boots, good luck. I don't think I've seen those anywhere this century lol. I think most people just lose em now. They don't even bother to put em in new bikes anymore.

Lol I've been waiting for that era of Kona to pop up in my area for a while. My phone is loaded with spec sheets, sizing charts, etc...

Color is highly personal, but I would think about pulling a color from your graphics for the pieces you want to upgrade. I think red could look good, starting with pedals and grips. Then the stem. I despise those adjustable jobbies, they have no place on a mountain bike. Be careful though once you start replacing the metal parts: anodizing can be addictive! After the rims and spokes, there's brake levers, the crank and arms, brakes themselves, headset...
View attachment 152168
As for the shock boots, good luck. I don't think I've seen those anywhere this century lol. I think most people just lose em now. They don't even bother to put em in new bikes anymore.

Thank you for the advice!

I have the original rims and tire on the bike. Im wanting to upgrade my tires but not my rims.
I know that the fork and chain stay can limit my width, can my rims limit my width?

I was thinking about putting 26x2 gumwall mtb tires on there..... if y'all know of any sources...

Last edited:
Finding 26 tires is tricky, but they're out there. Severe shortages combined with high demand
Schwalbe could be a good name to search, they do a lot of tan wall tires, in good tread patterns. Not so cheap though
PhotoGrid-1568863415304_1800x1800.jpg

Is that a copy of the catalog from 98? That flame background haunts my dreams. Also fills the gallery of my phone.

Last edited:
Finding 26 tires is tricky, but they're out there. Severe shortages combined with high demand
Schwalbe could be a good name to search, they do a lot of tan wall tires, in good tread patterns. Not so cheap though
Schwalbe makes great road tires, but their MTB tires are garbage. They wear quickly and have a tendency to peel knobs.

Latest posts

Back