Schwummit strandie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now for the short term change. I have this set of GYES honey leather lock on grips (like the Brooks ones only considerably cheaper). They are destined for an ‘aged’ project I’m working on, so before I look into tea/coffee/leather staining them, I figured I’d age them the old fashioned way...using them.
Left the end caps off, figured I’d remove the risk of losing one or messing it up removing it later
9d320c79ae0b6bfaee61b1a638bf5b23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that light! That's something I definitely need to upgrade as the days get shorter

Yeah bud, with very few street lights in the low country, it’s pitch black at 6:00 AM

Do you have the Sea turtle patrol also ?
I don't know about down by the good Dr, but out here on our island they don't mess around. Flashlight on the beach during nesting season will bring swift social justice. Pool or exterior lights on overnight.......oh boy. The beach combers will get you before the patrol or wardens :bigsmile:

We had a full crew selling and installing special turtle lights to the hotels up and down Daytona Beach during nesting season . Best years that I had .

Are they red lights? From what I've read, sea turtles don't see over 700nm, but we do, so that would be a color range that shouldn't bother them. How do I know this? Research on animals for a series of (older) kid's books. I might be overthinking them.

I don't know about down by the good Dr, but out here on our island they don't mess around. Flashlight on the beach during nesting season will bring swift social justice. Pool or exterior lights on overnight.......oh boy. The beach combers will get you before the patrol or wardens :bigsmile:

Turtles aren’t an issue, as I’m on a barrier island. My problem.....deer. They are more common than squirrels around here. Was literally 5 feet from 4 of them when I took the grips for a test ride

Update to the ‘it’s finished now’ (like any of my bikes are ever truly finished). Been waiting for almost 2 years for a set of nickel plated Velo-Orange bars for this bike. Well, got out on a waiting list and BOOM! One day I get an email that they’re back in stock and I jumped on a pair (they sold out again in like 5 hours). Got them in and realized they either changed the clamping area from 22.2 to 25.4. Well, since I didn’t want to mark up the new bars by forcing the 4-bolt 22.2mm clamping stem I was using, so....
Bought a 1” threaded-to-1 1/8” threadless adapter and painted a Bontrager stem I had to match the wheels. Added some 31.8 to 25.4mm shims, transferred the grips and bell too. Took it for a little cruise up and down the street, the pullback on them is awesome, like 45 degrees. Comfy, although lower overall bar height.
Here’s how she sits now.
de1fa48c59b8edc35ac68ba7fb05f366.jpg

After riding it like this, I didn’t really like forward leaning riding position of the stem/bar combo and steering got a little ‘quick’
So I picked up this 45mm unit off eBay
1b659a76317817f3aa2db9910794db6c.jpg

Wow! What a difference it makes! I was concerned that it might cramp the riding position, but it actually improved it. I rides in a more upright cruiser position now.
The bars are now right over the axle, for almost perfectly neutral steering. It rode ‘no hands Ma!’ really easily

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back