Greetings from Norway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm pretty new to bikes and just discovered this wonderful site in search of muscle bikes :D I've been in love with a couple of Norwegian bikes from the 70's, called Apache and Tomahawk. Very similar to other cruiser and muscle bikes from that era. The only problem is that I'm a hair over 6 feet, and I fear I would look a little silly riding a kids bike :bigsmile:

I don't have much experience building my own bikes, although I would love to try. The only problem is I fear it wil take a long time to get parts to Norway, since I would have to order most of them from the US. I'm leaving for Iraq with the army in a couple of months, and would love to have a finnished bike to enjoy during the summer before my deployment. That's why I will try to find a finnished bike for sale, or if someone wants to build one. Hopefully I'll have more time to build my own bikes when I return from Iraq :)

The pictures shows the iconic Apache and Tomahawk bikes from Norway

Attachments

• apache+cross.jpg
    apache+cross.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 76
  • NMK.2018.0203.jpg
    NMK.2018.0203.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 96
You could recreate the apache bike, but use a 26 inch frame for your version. Kinda looks like a Camelback frame. That tomahawk frame is a little more unusual, I doubt there is anything like that in larger scale.
large_11191053_922849881099015_179006798_n.jpg

Varsity Camelback

Welcome to RRB!

On the theme of sourcing Euro parts, the Apache could probably be done with a Raleigh Sport/Colt/???...

Vintage-Raleigh-Colt-3-speed-bicycle-made-in.jpg

...there are a lot of British brands (Hercules, Phillips, etc) in this frame style, I assume they are ubiquitous in Europe.

Another tip while you are in Iraq...try and form some friendships with American service men. They can get stuff shipped cheap and duty free from the States. Then you just have to get it back to Norway :grin:.

Stay Safe :thumbsup:!

Jason

Welcome! Where in Norway are you from? A few years ago my wife and I visited Oslo and Bergen - had a wonderful time in your lovely country!

Welcome aboard!

With only a couple of months until deployment, I would get a basic bike to ride around and wait for the right bike to show up and get it for a project later. I always find the bikes I want when they are least expected.
I looked on Craigslist and there are no bikes listed for all of Norway, but on FB marketplace they have tons of them: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/oslo/bicycles/

Here's one for kr 400 (no idea how much that is)
1617750029367.png

That's only about $50 USD, not a bad entry price. I recall as we were walking around Bergen there was a young family all riding really cool Electra cruisers. It was neat to see the biking scene there.

Found this for $300. I also found a Dutch site selling cruiser parts, so maybe I'll buy the bike and order a banana seat and springer fork to get the season started.

On a sidenote, does anyone have any experience with Retro Cruiser Bicycles? Looks like they actually have some sweet bikes, but they're all out of stock and they have trouble with supply because of the pandemic

Attachments

• 429_1628031646.jpg
    429_1628031646.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 73
That's a Dyno, a popular BMX and Cruiser brand, or at least was. Dyno/GT got bought out by Doral in the mid 2000s.

Welcome aboard! I wish I could help you figure out how to get what you want/need, but I live in the U.S., and I honestly don't know much about finding bikes/parts in Europe. I wish you the best of luck though! Stay safe in Iraq!

Latest posts

Back