'53 Bel Airflow Shelby: The 7th Annual OddJob Awards! Pg 22!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Shelby is going to look great!

My favorite Revell model car was the 53 Highboy. My 3 brothers and I had about 25 models back in the 60's, the Highboy was a standout. Your Dad's 53 with green and white is a great combination.
1620126817906.png

One of the aspects I've always enjoyed about this Forum, and the Build Offs, is resourcing parts that are actually produced by members on this site. One of my favorites that I have used as my 'go to' for laid-back seat posts is Chad Morgan, owner and operator of Chop Shop Customz.

They produce custom bars, seat posts, BB's shells, and even frames. His solid steel seat posts are the best I've found anywhere! Check out his facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/ChopShopCustomBicycles

Once again this year, I will be using a 'Chad post' on my build. Had to file the top of the inside of the seat tube on the ol' '53, and loosen up the seat clamp, but with some grease applied it is now a part of my RRB BO 16 build!

View attachment 156248
View attachment 156249

RaT oN~!

You have good taste in seatposts
4c4d0eade6e1aabbd5fd2f85bf739895.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't read this without hearing it in Marvin the Martian's voice.

1620136335799.png

1620136467334.png

I know, I know. Two posts in the same day. Hey, it's me, OJ. What's a guy to do?

'53 BAFS Videologue #1

Hope your day is half as nice as ours is!

I know, I know. Two posts in the same day. Hey, it's me, OJ. What's a guy to do?

'53 BAFS Videologue #1

Relaxing to see organization...

Was wondering if you were going to add a front roller brake. It's certainly a unique hub.
There's a clutch inside that prevents the front wheel from locking up under hard braking. Good idea actually.

Smooth ride, splendid components.

Relaxing to see organization...

Was wondering if you were going to add a front roller brake. It's certainly a unique hub.
There's a clutch inside that prevents the front wheel from locking up under hard braking. Good idea actually.

Smooth ride, splendid components.
Thanks. It is kind of a cool hub. And they have a grease to add to aid in the cooling as well as the 'fins'. I found one that wasn't too high priced. Might have to grab that in the next couple days.

'53 BAFS Videologue #1

Cool video OJ. It has it all: velvety narration over smooth jazz and RAT ROD BIKES EVERYWHERE! And whatever is in the fridge.

Thanks, SGOH! The 'fridge' is just a '50s vintage camper 'ice box'; so unless I'm out there for a few hours or entertaining, it's usually empty. But it does keep a beverage cold, yessir.

One of my favorite members on this forum also produces some great products; Thompson grips, @ifitsfreeitsforme . Ian produces some of the most comfortable, long wearing, and classic looking grips I've found anywhere. I have used both his ball-end and coke-bottle style grips and they are consistently great!

The grips are firm, but have a resilient and grippy (but not sticky) rubber compound that are exceptionally pleasing; especially for those of us with larger hands. I just purchased my 5th set to adorn this year's '53 Bel Airflow build!

Thanks again, Ian!
182890955_288506886330350_4619921213798494912_n.jpg

One of my favorite members on this forum also produces some great products; Thompson grips, @ifitsfreeitsforme . Ian produces some of the most comfortable, long wearing, and classic looking grips I've found anywhere. I have used both his ball-end and coke-bottle style grips and they are consistently great!

The grips are firm, but have a resilient and grippy (but not sticky) rubber compound that are exceptionally pleasing; especially for those of us with larger hands. I just purchased my 5th set to adorn this year's '53 Bel Airflow build!

Thanks again, Ian!
View attachment 156405

I’m running a set of those on my build too! The vast majority of the bikes in my past and current stables have a set of Ian’s grips.
Simply the best product and the best vendor!

Great video.
Can't go wrong with Thompson grips!
Cool info on the front roller brake.

wow! I'm flattered. Thanks guys for your continued patronage. It means a lot to me.

btw, the ball end grips are now available in 1" inside diameter to accommodate motorcycles, implements etc.

When I am guiding a customer to their new bike, I often say,
"The sum of the parts on a bike is greater than the whole."

The truth is, it is all about the components; frame, fork, drive train, shifting and braking, wheels, tires, etc that individually contribute to what constitutes a 'good ' bike. And, if you took a tally of the cost of each individual part, it would be far greater than what a customer in a bike shop pays for that particular whole bike.

For us, building our own custom rat rod bikes, it really is all about parts. The mixing of bicycle related and other unrelated to cycling parts is what makes for an interesting build concept. And in our case, frequently we are working with vintage parts that are rusty, worn , broken, missing pieces; you name it!

Today I worked on getting the dents out, or at least making them less obvious, in the tank halves. It's a tin, so it's very pliable, and I used my mall mallet and a furniture tack hammer that has a nylon end on one side to tap and smooth the shape. I have a Park Tool rubber bench mat and lay my grease laden towel folded over once on that, in place of a sand bag. I also use my bench vise for the edge dents where I can rest it right on the vise under the dimple, and then tap it smooth into place. It's kind of an art. One I haven't mastered by any means, but was great for a couple hours I had available this afternoon.

Then I cut a couple of stove bolts and used acorn nuts and washers to hold it together on the frame. Another step in the right direction.

182799022_227281855820433_4482958537326204389_n.jpg

182138084_3014689458810217_6633615303702491782_n.jpg

183173838_4308334889218393_5426766438470340422_n.jpg

182889606_155955096479454_3888071388444787454_n.jpg

182292972_181175833767019_3145216227620027843_n.jpg
182311225_819663578955810_5013716371813214903_n.jpg

RaT oN~!

Nice work on the tank. Another good tool for that work is a rubber head mallet, Each side is a different density for smoother work. Sometimes a metal head can leave creases. The broader head helps not leave smaller dimples.

1620338204302.png

I love that feeling when you take on something that is ‘new’ to you and, maybe by luck, maybe by unknown skill, you end up with a successful job.

My friend, I hope that’s how you felt when you stepped back and looked. The work looks great to me, looking forward to the next installment from the Back40

Nice work on the tank. Another good tool for that work is a rubber head mallet, Each side is a different density for smoother work. Sometimes a metal head can leave creases. The broader head helps not leave smaller dimples.

View attachment 156543
I need one of those!

Latest posts

Back