DoorK / Nodor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the weight by a good third and I've some ideas for more to remove to lose a bit more. The top bit of frame maybe and some of the inner panel for sure. Then there's the speed holes after the fact. So I'm feeling good about the build even though really just worked on the Door.K
IMG_20210509_174604660.jpg

Carl.

A quick search for Gallagher’s bike came up with nothing, surprisingly. How did he balance his? Was it a three-wheeler? Regardless, I don’t recall this being undertaken around here before, should be a hoot. You’re the one to pull it off, too.
furyus

A quick search for Gallagher’s bike came up with nothing, surprisingly. How did he balance his? Was it a three-wheeler? Regardless, I don’t recall this being undertaken around here before, should be a hoot. You’re the one to pull it off, too.
furyus
I only saw it once on a TV special like 30 yrs ago and all I remember was he pedaled it out onto the stage slow. It probably had either an outrigger or something less roadworthy like a caster on the door.

GC.

Loving this build man!

1620676152943.png

So I'll be cutting the front half of Muscle Spasm off. The drivetrain here feels stout enough to haul a DoorK. I'll probably be digging Dead Metal out and using the front half of it to build the burrito frame. It won't be a true burrito, I'm going to need the steering to be reasonable. I'm working on a design in my head to be able to lean things over together. I'm thinking hinges and struts.
IMG_20210511_125452383_HDR.jpg

GC.

I believe "reasonable" and "burrito bike" cancel each other out.

furyus

Cut up Muscle Spasm and Dead Metal yesterday to get the framework for DoorK. Is burritosque the correct term? Not a true burrito as you can see the frame will be above the front tire for a decent nonstandard steering...
IMG_20210511_125452383_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210511_183233229.jpg
IMG_20210511_185334875~2.jpg

Seatpost will change and i still need a bit of tubing but it's getting there.

Carl.

Sorry for the micro-aggression.

furyus

Sorry for the micro-aggression.

furyus
Haha It's all good bro, I get micro-aggressive sometimes too. My excuse is I'm slowly turning into a grouchy old man. But, I crank up my guitar rig or jump on a bike and I'm young again!

Carl

IMG_20210512_165216044~2.jpg

A little bit everyday and i might get it done. Changed the seatpost area a LOT. Tried a few seats n' saddles and finally stumbled into the old blue leather covered banana. I don't like banana seats much but it fits here and felt ok sitting on it. I need 24" between the two BBs think I'll find some rectangular tubing for it. 4 inches clearance seems like a decent amount, keeps me low. Seat top at 20" the cantilever tails and whatever else I wedge into that space and the basic frame is done. To steal a phrase from @CRASH "It looks like monkeys welded it." But most of my joints are double wall...so there's that.

Carl.

I’m missing something. If you’re sitting that low, how are you going to hang your elbow out the window?

furyus

I’m missing something. If you’re sitting that low, how are you going to hang your elbow out the window?

furyus
MOCK1.jpg

I refer you back to the 1st mockup. While this is not the bike I am using, it is roughly the correct height. Seat is at 19" off the pavement. Door is roughly 10" off the pavement. !0" is kinda high but I don't think I can get it any lower. If anything I need to lower my seat a bit and while the frame is not welded in place, current plan puts seat top at 20" and that's with about 4" clearance. I'd rather not lower that any either. In any event the actual door placement will wait until the basic frame is done. I should be able to go up or done a couple inches to get the stance/placement I want.

Carl.

IMG_20210513_210321908.jpg
IMG_20210513_210426457.jpg

Nothing is welded yet but...
I'm still in the "refining" part of the build. I could say no classic bikes were harmed in the making of this build but I'd be lying. Might be fun to make a list of the carnage. 2 OCC stinkrays (so far)
a Columbia Twosome (not much left of that bike on this build) tubing from a Kmart All-Pro and a fork from a 12" Huffy. That's just what's left from Muscle Spasm! Newly liberated from the boneyard is the original fork from ALiEN FiRE. No clue what mtb it came from. Dead Metal and now SGT.ROCK, both Schwinn middleweight cantilevers, have been chopped up to feed the build. Its not quite there yet, the lines need some finessing. If you look at the second pic, notice there's almost a complete set of cantilevers and a big chunk of the Twosome left. I have it kinda burly with a humped back look to it, not sure if that's what I want here.

GC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back