Billy Bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a vision in my head of the bars I made angling forward from the top of the head tube with pretty much a 0 degree rise and reach, keeping everything tight and low. While looking for a decent looking stem to do so I came across this one. I've never seen one like it before. I think with the single bolt it will look really clean. Guess we'll see when it gets here.View attachment 157629
Source?

Last night I was sitting on the couch, feet propped up, drink in my hand thinking about this build, and the idea of adding a number plate popped into my head. After a little web surfing I came across the Huffy Thunder bikes that came with the plate in the middle of the frame.
20210516_105621.jpg

This morning I came down to the shop and and cut out a standard size 9x11 oval plate and taped it in place.
20210516_105525.jpg

20210516_105541.jpg

Needless to say, I got a couple on the way...

I like the number plate idea supported in the middle.

I was busy last weekend doing car show things but did manage to get a little free time this morning to work on my seatpost. I looked at the bike for a while and since I want the bars and seat to be low and sleek decided to make the top bar seam as if it extends back over the seatpost tube. You'll get what I mean when you see the pics. I dug out some scrap pieces of 7/8" thickwall pipe and some 1" thinwall. The following is todays venture...
20210531_133226.jpg

I cut the top of the seatpost tube flush and used a die grinder to hog out downward so the new seatpost top fits flush.
20210531_143626.jpg

I then used the thinwall 1" to sleeve over the seatpost to make it the same diameter as the top tube.
As for the seatpost, I cut at a 45 degree angle, beveled the edges, welded it up, ground down the weld, and lightly hammerd it into the frame.
20210531_134415.jpg
20210531_134530.jpg
20210531_135414.jpg

I plan on welding the sleeve to the flame and plug welding the seatpost down the setpost tube in a few spots. I'm not sure what seat I'm going to use so this is where I'm going to leave it for now. The seat in the pics is a Brooks cambium c19 off a different bike I have. I want to use a leather saddle that has the dropdown sides so it will cover the clamp. So now the search for a seat begins...
20210531_144031.jpg
20210531_144038.jpg
20210531_144047.jpg

In case anyone is wondering what I took to a carshow, here is a picture of my 1963 Datsun NL320. 1 of approximately 1,000 produced.
20210522_170934.jpg

Last edited:
Superb work on that top tube seat post mod!
My first car was a 1970 Datsun B510 wagon. That car took me, and most of my stuff, everywhere I wanted to go for 5 years. I donated it back to the mechanic school at our local vo-tech where I had originally purchased it as a used, six year old vehicle. It needed a lot of work. Because I had A LOT of fun with that car!

Wicked idea on the seatpost!!! So smooth.
That Datsun is a showstopper! Such a clean build!

Superb work on that top tube seat post mod!
My first car was a 1970 Datsun B510 wagon. That car took me, and most of my stuff, everywhere I wanted to go for 5 years. I donated it back to the mechanic school at our local vo-tech where I had originally purchased it as a used, six year old vehicle. It needed a lot of work. Because I had A LOT of fun with that car!
Thank you and that's awesome. I had a b510 wagon when my oldest son (now 29) was a year or two old. Drove that thing everywhere. I don't remember what ever happened to it. Probably sold it.

Latest posts

Back