61 Tornado rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting. Last night and today:
9CD1DB65-5FF1-4B54-9BB0-94CCB0F5C1F7.jpeg
C86F8725-14A8-40F2-A264-C8DE34E01C55.jpeg
E045547B-D9D6-4D46-9EC8-0D26A1C67E90.jpeg
185BC9E7-ACD3-4C7E-A576-DD4AE7320740.jpeg
C86F8725-14A8-40F2-A264-C8DE34E01C55.jpeg
E045547B-D9D6-4D46-9EC8-0D26A1C67E90.jpeg
185BC9E7-ACD3-4C7E-A576-DD4AE7320740.jpeg

It's not obvious in the photos, but this is not the best paint job. The sheen is glossy here and there but flat and grainy elsewhere. The plan was: self-etching primer, primer-sealer, color, and clear gloss. I may try an additional wet coat of color before moving on to clear.

At any rate, I am taking inventory of my process, making note of things observed / learned.

Otherwise, I am very happy to see the color on the frame. I have no regrets on color choice.

Happy Father's Day, all!

"Spicoli, that light was red!"

"It was yellow a minute ago, I'm sure."
It is very possible a recent shoe purchase influenced this seat rehab. There was definitely something "OFF THE WALL" going on in the back of my mind.

I should note, though it's a bit late in the game, I have a name for this build. "Cicada" came to mind as something relevant. This bike has been underground for quite some time (well over seventeen years) as I've contemplated rebuilding it.

Nonetheless, "Werebeast-Motor" has a nice ring to it. It's a practically irrelevant name but it makes me smile. Simply a mis-quote of lyrics from CCR's "Green River". The "motor" that has served to inspire my color choices is the Buick Nailhead, although I was initially sent in the "green" direction by Couch-Tater's "Mudd" build.

It is very possible a recent shoe purchase influenced this seat rehab. There was definitely something "OFF THE WALL" going on in the back of my mind.

I should note, though it's a bit late in the game, I have a name for this build. "Cicada" came to mind as something relevant. This bike has been underground for quite some time (well over seventeen years) as I've contemplated rebuilding it.

Nonetheless, "Werebeast-Motor" has a nice ring to it. It's a practically irrelevant name but it makes me smile. Simply a mis-quote of lyrics from CCR's "Green River". The "motor" that has served to inspire my color choices is the Buick Nailhead, although I was initially sent in the "green" direction by Couch-Tater's "Mudd" build.
Vans 🤙

I had mentioned problems with the finish-- rough spots. I have remedied this with some #0000 steelwool. I am much happier now, even though what should have been a gloss finish is now more satin/eggshell. Still planning a clearcoat of the frame and a BLO of the seat, head, and BB tubes.

@kingfish254 painted his seat with checkerboard pattern
View attachment 162944
Holy moly, his build thread already has like 20 pages to sift through!
I've gotta give a shout out to Kingfish254. I don't think I knew about these seats, but I was majorly inspired by a checker seat from one of his recent builds.
My seat is a very cheap brooks knock-off made of bonded leather.

Latest posts

Back